NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Breadman and I decided to give one of the creeks on the New River a try today. I met him in Sneads Ferry first thing this morning dressed in jeans and T-shirt ready to fish - gotta love the weather for early March!

We headed out looking for some specks and whatever else we could roust up. We started at a spot Breadman had worked a few weeks ago with good success. But today there was a lot of mud flowing out from the feeder creeks due to the storm that rolled through here last night. I did manage to get the skunk off the boat pretty quick and boated a puppy drum. We released him and thought, wow this is going to be good. Pretty soon the tide began to drop and the mud was everywhere. Never caught another puppy all day.

So we headed to a different spot looking for cleaner water. We found it just down the creek and began to work some structure. We boated 5 flounder in the first 15 minutes (only one was big enough to keep). Then the bite just died. I mean nothing for the next hour. So we moved spots and proceed to catch a few more and lost a couple too. Again the bite died and we moved. This time changing creeks and trying several spots. No luck.

We never did get any specks to complete a slam but we ended up catching 10 flounder and a drum and had a real enjoyable day on the water!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sounds like a fun day!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to dear about the dirty water. D and F creeks can get muddy. Did you try W creek? :D
We did. It wasn't dirty - could see bottom in 3' of water except up beyond the bridge where the mud flow had begun to seep downstream but still couldn't find the trout. Neither one of us have fished W much so we were learning our way around that one. I understand there is a hole up that way but we couldn't find it.

BTW - We were north of W when we started (not at D&F) ....;)

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
GREAT JOB ANY DAY CATCHING FISH IS BETTER THEN A DAY NOT CATCHING FISH ;) DONT YA JUST HATE GETTING SO CLOSE TO THE SLAM TO GO HOME WITHOUT IT? DID THAT MANY MANY TIMES LAST YEAR GET TROUT DRUM NO FLOUNDER ...............FLOUNDER DRUM NO TROUT.............................................TROUT DRUM NO FLOUNDER............................GO FIGURE BUT I DID GET AT LEAST 2 SLAMS LAST YEAR WHEN I WASNT TRYING SO HARD TO GET IT :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
LIKE QC OR THE OTTERS RAMP :D OR THE DRUMBEAT CREEK OR FLATFISH STREACH LOL I CAN GO ON AND ON,BREAD MAN MY BEST FLAT FISH FROM THERE WAS LAST YEAR AT 24 INCH 4 POUNDS ON THE NOSE.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
THANKS BREADMAN I DONT TARGET THEM I NORMALLY JUST STUMBLE ON THEM THINK OF WHAT I COULD CATCH IF I DID LOL.
GLAD YOUR NOT TELLING ME YOUR BEST I MIGHT JUST HAVE TO TARGET THEM ;)
I LIKE TO EAT THEM FROM TIME TO TIME BUT I GOTTA HAVE MY RED DRUM PULL!!!!!! FLOUNDER TO ME DONT FIGHT HARD ENOUGH FOR ME TO GO AFTER THEM ALL THE TIME AND THEY ARE DECIENT TABLE FARE BUT ILL EAT A DRUM OVER A FLAT FISH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK...........JUST MY PREFFERENCE.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.