NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bob Schwirtzke and I are heading up to Virginia to fish the New River for Smallmouth bass. Right now we are planning on heading up on Thursday afternoon Aug 2 and will stay until Aug 7 or 8. The plans are still evolving. We are trying to find a campground where we can either rent a no frills cabin, or else we will tent camp. We plan on doing some wade and some float fishing and will hopefully hit some of the area trout streams as well. Since water levels are low on the headwaters (NC end), we are currently planning to fish downstream some, probably below Claytor Lake.

We would like to invite others to join us as long as you don't expect anything fancy. Fish catching not guaranteed but good company is.

Keith

Reactions: LiveBait

·
Registered
715 Posts
Keith I am somewhat surprised that no one has taken you up on this. Possible its the length of stay or the distance or unfamilar territory. I'm sure you'll have some takers. Its a bad date and week for me but have a great time, sure sounds like fun.

Jim

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If anyone wants to come for just some of the days, that would be fun.
Keith

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thanks for the invite. wish I could come up. I caught my first small mouth a couple month ago up on fontana lake. Tuition is due on the 3rd...so thats going to put a big dent in my fishing haha

·
Registered
359 Posts
keith , man I`d love to go but we`re closing on our mountain cabin on the 2nd. If you want to camp, there is a campground right on the river in n.c. called rivercamp USA.You`ll have to look up the phone# online not sure of the address.good luck and be safe.....peace, Mark

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I just returned from a very enjoyable trip to the New River in Virginia. Bob Schwirtzke and I fished 3 separate days from his driftboat. Our home port was Radford VA. Bob served as captain and main source of power (honest, I asked to row but he wouldn't let me!!). The weather on the first 2 days was sunny and warm. The 3rd day was overcast and drizzly but the main issue on the 3rd day was that the water level had come up about a foot and there was much loose vegetation floating downstream.

We had good success flyfishing bringing over 40 smallmouth bass "to hand" in the "gin clear waters" (I borrowed those phrases from Al K since I am pretty unoriginal !). Most of them were small (<10") but feisty. A few nicer ones were caught as well. We managed to make it through all white water without falling in.

Here are some more pictures: kjgallaher/Fish/NewRiver07 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sorry no one else came. Maybe next year!

Regards,
Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
That's awesome Keith. How come you didn't get more pics of Bob? I'm going to have to try those hellgramites in NY next week. Great Smallmouth, I'll have to try to make that trip sometime. Sorry , that I missed it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.