NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on base and across from my barracks there is a bank of rocks. Water looks pretty shallow (inchs maybe a foot from the base of the rocks) and I'm pretty sure it's new river. What caught my eye was I can see curvey lanes of calm water when most the water has a bit of chop. Are these underwater channels? Will it provide good fishing? How should I approach this scenario?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Get some waders and start fishing. I wade fish alot during lunch or before work (spring-late fall) all along base and there is plenty to catch. Going to be slow in the open river this time of the year, but grab a base map and hit all the creeks coming off the main river, almost all the creeks have access points to them and they are holding fish.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah bud I'm stationed there and I fish those channels frequently. Fish a gulp on the lightest jig head you can that will still sink to the bottom and cast just beyond where the water pattern changes.. Then let the current run it up against the sides of those channels and jig it or reel slow every 20-30 seconds and you'll catch specks on and off for probably another month. Get some waders from dicks or bookoo and walk out a bit to make it easier. Haven't seen any Gators but others I know have.. So just keep an eye out even though they shouldn't be a problem this time of year.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Or just bottom fish like a lot of folks do. I'm not a huge fan because I get bored but you'll catch blues, trout, and mullet if you go at night. Shrimp, blood worms, etc

Carp gave good advice. Remember: watch for those schools of baitfish too, that's where you want to be

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.