NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got a place near New River near Sparta,NC. Always bass fished in Lakes or from shore. Want to start floating river this spring and looking for opinion on best set up. I am 6’7 250 so Kayak worries me and think I would like sitting higher in personal pontoon. Will fly fish and spin fish.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I started with a kayak and ended up with a whitewater raft with a fishing/row frame. I'm convinced that a raft is the safest and most effective river fishing solution for western NC rivers. Check out Mark Goldsmith's videos of smallmouth fishing on the French Broad river on youtube. You might also be interested in Bruce Ingram's New River Guide book.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started with a kayak and ended up with a whitewater raft with a fishing/row frame. I'm convinced that a raft is the safest and most effective river fishing solution for western NC rivers. Check out Mark Goldsmith's videos of smallmouth fishing on the French Broad river on youtube. You might also be interested in Bruce Ingram's New River Guide book.
Just bought that book. Great suggestion.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You do what you want. But I second the nucanoe. I would suggest the new unlimited (12') if you are plotting new. If you are looking used the frontier 12'. They are very similar the unlimited has more scuppers. If you are planning on standing to fish. I have hit a sand bar boat came to a full stop while standing and didn't come off the boat. I'm 5'10" 250 and uncoordinated. Hope it helps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Recently got a place near New River near Sparta,NC. Always bass fished in Lakes or from shore. Want to start floating river this spring and looking for opinion on best set up. I am 6’7 250 so Kayak worries me and think I would like sitting higher in personal pontoon. Will fly fish and spin fish.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.
definitely a kayak! i fish the New quite a bit and feel a kayak will help you navigate the waters a little better and stay out of the current! i have about 94 miles of the new fished from a kayak! with a NC & VA fishing license! good luck on your decision and tight lines!

·
Registered
Pacifica. No tent needed.
30 Posts
If it's fishing you aim to do you really should consider a personal pontoon. The reason I say this is because when I float a river, I can float an entire river without the need to swap my rod for an oar or paddle to gain or keep position. Wearing fins or flippers allows you to maintain position regardless of the wind or current. I'll sometimes drag a weight like chains or window sash weights to help slow the boat down or keep the bow pointing downstream. I have a line tied on the bows so I can simply stand up to stop the boat or fish a run. The line between the bows keeps the boat from getting away. When done with that, simple sit down without much gymnastics or worry about balance.
I've been through canoes and kayaks but settled on ‘toons for pure fishing enjoyment. I've been through three ‘toons, the latest being a pontoon with a slide-out casting platform and leaning bar. The whole deal is hidden under the seat until you slide it out to cast from. For smallies, the higher view allows you to look into the water and spot fish that would otherwise go unnoticed in a yak or canoe.
Besides that, you can haul all sorts of gear with little worry about capsizing and losing gear or getting everything soaked. Granted, ‘toons aren't as fast as yaks or canoes but I'm fishing, not racing.
‘Toons are great too for lake and pond fishing. With the fins, I can keep whatever distance I want from shore and not worry about the wind blowing me into shore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it's fishing you aim to do you really should consider a personal pontoon. The reason I say this is because when I float a river, I can float an entire river without the need to swap my rod for an oar or paddle to gain or keep position. Wearing fins or flippers allows you to maintain position regardless of the wind or current. I'll sometimes drag a weight like chains or window sash weights to help slow the boat down or keep the bow pointing downstream. I have a line tied on the bows so I can simply stand up to stop the boat or fish a run. The line between the bows keeps the boat from getting away. When done with that, simple sit down without much gymnastics or worry about balance.
I've been through canoes and kayaks but settled on ‘toons for pure fishing enjoyment. I've been through three ‘toons, the latest being a pontoon with a slide-out casting platform and leaning bar. The whole deal is hidden under the seat until you slide it out to cast from. For smallies, the higher view allows you to look into the water and spot fish that would otherwise go unnoticed in a yak or canoe.
Besides that, you can haul all sorts of gear with little worry about capsizing and losing gear or getting everything soaked. Granted, ‘toons aren't as fast as yaks or canoes but I'm fishing, not racing.
‘Toons are great too for lake and pond fishing. With the fins, I can keep whatever distance I want from shore and not worry about the wind blowing me into shore.
I have a Skykomish 10’ pontoon I have aged out of and would sell very reasonable. Have trolling motor for it as well
Call me at (919) 632-0699. Will probably send u to VM but leave me message and # and I’ll call you back
Carl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts