NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a great day fishing so far! Was hoping to target smallies but the river here is too shallow. Decided that I'd have to settle for trout. :cool: Woke up at 7 a.m. and fished a small pool near the river and caught 7 trout in about thirty minutes. This seemed a little too easy so I made the trek down to the river and got to work with a rooster tail and also some powerbait trout worms. Ended up with four rainbow trout, the biggest of which came home for dinner. Also caught two dink smallmouth and tons of suckers and redbreasts. Bite was really hot before 10 a.m. but after that it slowed way down. We also fished a catch and release pond up the mountain a ways where Basswrangler caught two citation bluegil and my dad caught one! Nice school of them there. I'm here till Tuesday so hopefully I can find some deeper water to catch some big smallmouth later on in the week. Hopefully more reports to come!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been to different areas of the mountains every year fishing since I was a kind and I remember fishing all weekend for two or three of the "elusive" trout, now it's exciting to see how much better I have gotten at trout fishing. I finally understand where the trout stay, how to tease them to bite, and what baits to use when. I love catching "little bitty" trout. But i'd LOVE to find some bigger smallmouth or maybe a musky ;) I like knowing that I can be an all around fisherman. I caught largemouth in JoCo wednesday, Flounder at Topsail on thursday, and trout in fleetwood on saturday. I love my life! (Except school and work and all that boring, nonfishing stuff)

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
We used to lug 40lb packs 6-8 hours and sleep on the side of a hill just to catch them little bitty trout .. it's addictive!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Edge of the Smokies above the old Cherokee hatchery, across the ridge on the Raven Fork was my favorite. Hit it at the right time and you could harvest a few ramps & mayfrys on the way in. Real pretty country up there ... rough fishing but worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts