NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All in all it was a great four days of fishing. The puppy drum are biting well at the mouths of the creeks. For me i found that a live shrimp under a popping cork was a sure thing, Im talking every 5 or so casts. Out in the river i hooked into a nice 2lb speck off of a jerk shad. The best part of this weekend was catching fish for the first time on my saltwater fly rod. Pulled in about 4 or 5 blues and a 10" pompano, small but fought pretty good. Best thing about it , it was on a clouser that i had tied . so overall very good weekend.

I do have one question though. Ive been hitting onehole where the puppy drum are always there and ive been tossing Shrimp, orange legged crab, sea ducer and clousers out on the fly rod and they dont seem to want to take any of them. Anybody got any fly patterns for puppy or got any suggestions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your doing much better than me that is for sure. Ended up not getting out on my boat this weekend, instead did a little fishing off of the point at the sneeds ferry bridge on sunday. Not much action for most there in the afternoon to dark. I hooked into everything except what I wanted to bring home. The only angler I saw that hooked anything nice was a guy with a 16 inch flounder.

When you say "the creeks", are you talking about Southwest Creek, French Creek, and Wallace Creek? I spent part of a day last week in the boat off of Hospital Point and was hooking into some small Red Drum, but nothing worth mentioning in a post here. They were hitting the live shrimp I caught earlier in the Wallace Creek area. Last year I hooked into a really nice red in that area from the shore.

I'm prepping my fishing cap for next week when I take some much needed vacation time, hopefully I will have some better luck. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I landed a beautiful 23.5" redfish way up river in the New River yesterday evening that tip the scales at 6.5 lbs. It was a remarkably strong fish on lighter tackle; hitting like a truck and making powerful runs before it was finally landed. It was my biggest redfish to date and made a fine meal for the family last night!

BTW - - it was caught on a 2" Gulp Shrimp on a red jighead.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
hello Jighead, and welcome.. be sure to say hello on the Meet n Greet forum!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.