NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had the pleasure of going out with Captain Ricky Kellum up at New River on his 22 foot Triton, backed with 240 horses that blazed me into the bitter cold morning. We took of from the wild life ramp just as you cross the bridge into Jacksonville and headed south to one of Ricky’s key spots. The wind kicked up from the start making fishing conditions less then ideal to start the day with. We fished long and hard in the first bay, back and forth, three times, Ricky ending up with a nice Puppy Drum and heart breaking miss on a nice fish. We were throwing pink shrimp plugs, white and pearl DOA’s, nothing was producing for us. After lunch we headed to another “special” location in a narrow creak where Ricky landed two very nice specks on the pink shrimp plugs. As for me, I ended up with a brutal sun burn on my face, but I did land a good time and look forward to meeting up with Ricky for a future trips when the bite picks up. The bite was slow all around today after listening to several of Rick’s friends coming up empty handed. I appreciate it Topsail Angler for pointing me in the direction of Rick Kellum, I really enjoyed my day on the New River and look forward to exploring more my self once Mr. Repair man gives me my boat back!!

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I fished the river last Wednesday afternoon. I fished the same holes you guys did, I'm sure. You guys had two more trout than I did though. I had four hook ups in THREE HOURS! Not too impressive. They are still a little sluggish.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Breadman, Have you fished with RIcky before, or just know his holes? I enjoyed the New River, felt more like home and to what I'm use to in Louisiana. I can;t wait to get out there on my own and go after some reds with the ole gold colorado blade.
Another question, the new river, is that brackish water? however you spell brackish? any bass in there?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hey Specreck, Thanks for the New River fishing report. I have never fished with Capt. Ricky Kellum, But I have been hearing about his success in the New River since I moved here from Alamance Co. NC four years ago. I need to make some plans to fish with Capt. Ricky. Thanks again for the post. I want to go fishin' !

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can get a hold of Ricky at (910)330-2745, somtimes his number is busy, or if he's on the water he won't always answer. Great guy to fish with. I would wait a little while till the bite picks up. I know he was a little disappointed that we didn't catch. The fishing had been fairly good earlier that week. He had called me to tell me that, but we just caught bad wind and it had rained a bit before our trip. I hope to learn the water better in that area myself, as well in your area. If your ever up for a trip I'll be glad to have someone to fish with...once my boat gets out!! Good luck in the future

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I need to make some plans to fish with Capt. Ricky.
When you do, you'll be very happy you did! Ricky grew up on the New River and knows it like the back of his hand. He a supper nice guy too and loves to share his knowledge.

Also, if you ever have a chance to attend one of the fishing schools he helps teach - it is worth while.

·
Registered
38 Posts
just to respond to the bass part. there are some bass in new river quite a few just about like anywhere else with brakish water. thing is its a hit and miss place you either do very good there or you dont do anything. last tournament that was called at new river putting in at jacksonville there was a bass weighing a little over 4 pounds was weighed in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.