NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So saturday morning I hit areas around mile hammock bay without much action, think I hit the area during the wrong tide. Sunday morning went back out in the new river in the yak scouting for the tell tale signs of reds and trout blasting bait and schools of mullet. Was slow at first, lots of sting rays around chasing them mullet tho and hooked and released one. Working top water(spook jrs) once the tide changed with a friend we both at the same time had several big blow ups by trout that did not lead to any hook ups. Wrapped it up around 1pm but was not finished and determined to find fish.
We went back out later at night and managed to find many many feeding redfish in new river absolutely destroying mullet so we netted some and creeped around in the yaks using top water and I also had fresh mullet under a cork. That was the ticket and produced 3 pups ranging from 18-21 inches early early in the morning. Also had a big hookup with something that started towing me and my 14 foot wilderness kayak around before spitting the hook. Im thinking either a big red or maybe even a very big trout.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Good report. Thanks. I've had a couple good days on reds in NR this year, but the trout have been Bumpkiss! Worst year in the last 5 for me by far. I must have lost my touch.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Man I need to trade with you all. I can usually (keyword being usually) find the trout but I haven't been on all good school of reds in awhile. Always just one or two here or there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can say that trout fishing this summer here on the new river, from what I have heard, has been slower than normal. I have caught zero since spring. Not from experience not being from the area tho. The drum, like usual where in pretty shallow water, no deeper than a few feet. I have caught many redfish in my lifetime from little pups to 40+ inches and almost all of them I caught in a few feet of water. The trout, like I have noticed from winter and spring I caught around drop offs and structure

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.