NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
It is awful compared to what it was even 5 years ago……the biggest problem are the constant floods we keep getting especially during the spawn. It never stops raining. I think this year was the first time they’ve actually had a decent spawn in 6-7 years. Also a high number of foreigners all along the river that keep anything and everything they catch. It’s gotten more pressure over the last decade. But I think the floods are the biggest culprit. I wish we could go about a year without a drop of rain.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for the comment kb_rn. I enjoy harvesting fish for a family dinner occaisionally, but mostly saltwater or crappie... it is somehow frustrating to imagine folks keeping smallies, but I'm sure that it happens. Hoping for a dryer cycle so that the New river population can rebound.
It will be back if we get a cycle of good spawns. This has happened before. It hasn’t gotten the amount of pressure it gets now though. But it is a resilient river. I’ll be shocked if it doesn’t rebound. It breaks my heart to see how it is at the moment though……at least the upper new

1 - 3 of 3 Posts