NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys sorry for the late report, work has been crazy.

My wife and I took our anniversary trip to the south fork of the New River. We put in at the Wagoneer access of the state park, day 1 we paddled 11 miles to the 221 access of the State park. Camped the night and headed down another 9 or so miles to Twin Rivers Family campground where our car was waiting.
Overall it was a great trip, weather was great and thanks to all the help from the guys here on the forum my wife and I had a great time catching some smallies.

We used the Gary Yamamoto Kut tails in green pumpkin and pop-Rs.
Caught alot of 10 inch fish and even saw some nice 16 inchers in pools as we paddled along.
The water was low with a flow of 1.96 so some of the rapids that we thought we would encounter were exposed rocks.
This was a learning trip for us both.
Lessons Learned

An 11 mile float while trying to fish and set camp up at the end destination before dark does not allow much time to fish. I believe we will cap it off around 5 or 6 miles next time.

An Ascend FS12T Kayak is good for flat water but will not be a river boat for me, too hard to turn

Hammock Camping is so much lighter than tent camping, from now on its hammocks for us

Also we will be purchasing some nicer Kayaks when the new models come out for 2015, the ones we have currently do the job but for moving water and more enjoyable camping trips new boats will be needed.

All in all we had a great time, only took a few pics of the trip but we really enjoyed it.
I caught the most fish under the 221 bridge in deep holes. We forgot how hard a Smallie can really pull.

Thanks again for all the tips from everyone. We will be going back in the spring!!

Water Boat Sky Water resources Vehicle
Water Boat Watercraft Lake Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Plant community Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Watercraft
Water Boat Watercraft Water resources Vehicle
Water Boat Watercraft Paddle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Great trip 5-6 miles is a good day trip if your fishing. We did the Kings Creek to 93 bridge once not bad since we didn't have to set-up camp. How do you like the Ascend for flatwater fishing? my future son-in-law has been looking at them.

Darrell

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great trip 5-6 miles is a good day trip if your fishing. We did the Kings Creek to 93 bridge once not bad since we didn't have to set-up camp. How do you like the Ascend for flatwater fishing? my future son-in-law has been looking at them.

Darrell
For flat water it's great, stable plenty of storage and the seat is great. It's just not a moving water boat too hard to turn quickly. But all in all a decent fishing kayak for the cash

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.