NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

My wife and I are fishing the lower fork of the new river, Wagoneer access and 221 access the last of the month. Does anyone here have any tips, we will be kayaking and camping and neither of us have ever fished the new. Any and all tips will be appreciated

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which of the campgrounds are you staying at and which sections do you plan to float? Lots of us here that fish the area a lot.
We will put in on the south fork at wagoner access state park, camp at the 221 and then at Twin Rivers campground the last night. Plan on Floating with the Kayaks and trying to catch some smallies on the way.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will pick up some camo cuttails, as well as some poppers, any particular colors of poppers or plugs?
Thanks for the tips guys, keep them coming if you can. This is our wedding anniversary trip, really want her to have a blast with the kayak fishing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here's one tip. Get a few bags of Yamamoto cut tail worms in camo color. Fish them with a split shot about 14 inches above the bait. Toss it in the current coming to you and twitch it back. Have caught literally hundreds of smallmouth on it. Also, torpedoes and pop rs work good too.:)
As always,,, Thank You Jerry. I seen your name & had to join.
We'll be searching 24-7, around the New River mouth, soon.
Hopefully, your wisdoms will help US find a fish!
Talk to you later ;)

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Not sure how familiar you are with the south fork of the New River, and exactly where Twin Rivers Campground is, but I have a feeling it is past the class 2 rapid. Not a bad one, but can foll you into going over a small waterfall if you aren't familiar with it. The people on here who are familiar with it will help you I am sure if you don't know about it, and it is before TRC.

We will put in on the south fork at wagoner access state park, camp at the 221 and then at Twin Rivers campground the last night. Plan on Floating with the Kayaks and trying to catch some smallies on the way.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure how familiar you are with the south fork of the New River, and exactly where Twin Rivers Campground is, but I have a feeling it is past the class 2 rapid. Not a bad one, but can foll you into going over a small waterfall if you aren't familiar with it. The people on here who are familiar with it will help you I am sure if you don't know about it, and it is before TRC.
Rouse D
According to Google maps and a river map, Twin Rivers Campground is the last take out point before the class 2 rapids. Please let me know if I'm wrong, my FS12 yak is not class 2 material.
Hope the weather and the fish cooperate.
Thanks for all the tips guys

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
Rouse D
According to Google maps and a river map, Twin Rivers Campground is the last take out point before the class 2 rapids. Please let me know if I'm wrong, my FS12 yak is not class 2 material.
Nah, the rapid RouseD talks about is about 5 miles downstream (North) of the 221 access. It looks like you can thread through two rocks in the middle of the river as you approach but you can't. You have to go far bank river left into a series of small standing waves (your yak can handle it...it's more of a Class 1+ rapid, pictured below). Be sure and fish the pool it drops you into. In fact there's an area on the river left of the pool that you can park, stretch and fish.

I've fished that river for over 15 years. My favorite artificial is a 4" Zoom lizard in pumpkin or watermelon colors (brown or green with black speckles). Use a 1/0 worm hook, rig it weedless and put a TINY (size 7) split shot a foot to 18" above it. Toss upstream and let it drift back past your yak...they hit it frequently as it rises back towards the surface. If you're a bait fisherman, a size 4 hook and half a nightcrawler is devastating.

When you put in at Wagoner's, go around the back side of the island in front of the put in and take it downstream. You will drop into a good pool there. Focus on rock/shade more than any wood laydowns for smallies. Lots of Redeye rockbass in slower water too.

On your float leaving from 221 there are just a few pocket areas of decent fishing (river left just before the 221 bridge comes to mind), but I usually just paddle a couple of miles and start fishing hard at the first bend after the 221 bridge. From there down is very, very good. The water from the bridge to that bend is very shallow....stay river right to get the few inches more of water that make the difference between dragging and not. Beautiful river. You'll go back. Enjoy!

Water Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Fluvial landforms of streams Vehicle

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I'm not familiar with this section of the New but looking at the Google maps satellite images it looks like it has long shallow holes/shoals and small drops. This is similar to sections of the James I have fished before. The biggest challenge will be finding high percentage water. The long shallow relatively featureless areas are easy to fish but will give up few bites. You need to find deeper water and cover. When you find these areas they will often hold lots of fish. If you can, work them over thoroughly (anchor or get out and wade if possible). I found one such area on just after the confluence of the forks. It is ripe with high percentage areas, IMO.
Ecoregion Organism Font Science Soil

Look for similar features where you are fishing to maximize your odds. In addition to the baits others have mentioned, 4" black or dark smoke senkos on a splitshot rig or small jighead drifted will produce. Tubes are always a top choice. Rig traditional or if you are getting hung too much use a 1/8 or 3/16 bullet weight and rig Texas style on a 2/0 hook. If the fish are active, hard jerkbaits fished very fast will draw lots of strikes (Yozuri Pins Minnow). The Rebel Craw crankbaits rarely fail to catch fish. Finally, if you encounter rain/colored water don't be afraid to power fish. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, big plastic, or jigs will often outfish finesse presentations in colored water. Good luck and hope you catch a bunch of fish.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Rouse D
You are correct about there being a pretty good rapid (I assume a class 2) shortly after arriving to Twin Rivers Campground. You shouldn't encounter it unless you float on down toward the end of the campground. RouseD and h2ohhh are correct about the class 2 rapid a few miles after 221 access. Its easy though, It will want to take you into the bank but with a little steering, you will be just fine. It is a fun little quick rapid. Been getting a lot of action on a buzzbait lately. They are commonly used early or late, but they will catch fish in the middle of the day as well. If water is really clear, your best bet with a buzzbait will probably be near dark, if the water is slightly stained, I think you can catch during any part of the day on a buzzbait. Try throwing one from the campsite after dark if you feel like doing so. I have been using a black 1/2 ounce. Get a smaller size though, I have been missing a lot of smaller bass due to the larger buzzbait. Its a blast having bass blow up a buzzbait. Good luck, have fun! Might see ya float by and not even know it haha.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
gl, sorry about the confusion. Couldn't remember the exact location of TRC, and the class 2 rapid. My main concern was for you not to lead your wife over that waterfall, and have her fall in. Not good on a 1st anniversary, and you know who's fault it would be.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Some folks consider the rapid in the lower part of Twin Rivers campground to be a Class III....but it varies with the water level. Some folks have run it and capsized. Other brand new paddlers have run it with only a few bumps and knocks.... A lot of the success and ease of paddling will depend on the river level. Around 2.2 feet on the S. Fork USGS Gauge at Jefferson is pretty easy paddling on much of the river. 1.8-1.9 feet is getting pretty scratchy and shallow for a lot of folk and requires a little better reading of the river and picking your chutes and channels. Heavy rain last week shot the gauge up to almost 5 feet... it has dropped significantly since but was still high and muddy yesterday. Riverside Canoe and Tube Rental, just upriver from Twin Rivers is real good about shuttling folks with their own yaks and can provide updates on what to expect on river levels etc.

Anchoring or wedging up on rocks, ledges or shallows will aid in fishing areas. Often hard to fish, drift and dodge rocks all at the same time.... If you decide to explore and fish on downriver from Twin Rivers e.g. down to the 93 bridge....you will find fewer paddlers and very few tubers...and some more isolated portions of the river. You can still fish the river in VA in that section with your NC license...

Lots of good info already provided on fishing. Topwater can still provide some good action when the water is reasonably clear, especially on the fly rod with topwater bugs etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.