NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife asked me what we should get our son for Christmas this year. Without hesitation I said a new "fishing outfit". Before she could run down to JC Penny's men's department, I explained that would be a ROD, REEL and LINE :D , not the latest Columbia clothes. She agreed and that's what we did. Got him a nice light weight ultra sensitive, fast action job that he can use for Sea Trout or inland bass and trout fishing (he is stationed at Fort Bragg).

So we go out this morning on the boat to try it out. It was windy and the water was very cold (46 degrees) but we were catching Drum and nobody wanted to quit. After about 4 hours of fishing, all of sudden my son hollers "I can't believe I just did that".

Yup - he threw his new rod and reel overboard by accident. Next thing I know his Army buddy that came home with him for the holidays jumps in to the water to try and retreive the rig. Galant effort but a bad idea, that water was very COLD. I pull him out, marked the spot with my spotter float, call the wife to meet us at the dock with warm clothes and a ride for son's buddy and a garden rake for me.

after meeting my wife, son and I head back to the spot and I'm thinking, there's no way we are going to find this rig. Well lot's of praying went up about that time. We get back to the spot where the float is, anchor up so we will drift back next to the spotter float. I stick the rake into the water next to the spotter float to see if it's long enough, it is barely but I touch bottom and feel something. I bring it up and ...you guessed it, it's the rod & reel.

Whew............... I kept telling him if he didn't like it he could just give it to me....... :D So much for our kids actually growing up.....:rolleyes:

Answered prayer and a happy ending for sure.

By the way, his buddy is fine, we got him warmed back up quick.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Mike --- look at the bright side-- it could have been your new outfit he threw in-- Thats what my very young grand daughter did to me once-- a new Fenwick and Penn open face-- she started crying--Memaw tells her not to cry --Papaw throws them in all the time-- she stopped crying -- but then I started-- never found mine.

Forrest

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
All is well that ends well. Neither one of them boys will forget that trip for the rest of their lives. That's worth a bunch there. Make sure that he gets that reel cleaned up inside and out. It is easy to put something like that off until too late when you are young and things are happening fast. Glad to hear about the drum but you left out the precise location. Can't figure out that one. Al

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You are all right Mike, It sure is a shame that the Haystacks are so far away from you. That is a classic winter spot and I hear that they are still biting there. I can't tell you where Breadman's hole is but it sure is closer than the haystacks.:D Think deep creeks that drain muddy flats that are exposed except at high tide. Couple that with a sunny day and an evening High Tide and the bite should be good on the first part of the ebb. Reds should be there earlier on the late flood. Low water exchange rates are best in these areas.(especially after a string of sunny days.) After cold snaps think the deepest water around. Especially dead end channels that are coming off the ditch. If it is protected from the wind somewhat that is good too. Remember that a trout will eat another trout or mullet or needlefish 1/2 its own length even in the winter. A slow sinking mirrolure isn't a good mouthful for a large trout.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wanted to go to the Cape Fear River Today and fish for Stripers near Wilmington. They been hauling out osme nice ones last week or so, not the huge ones you get in the Ocean this time of year but some nice 15-20 pounders. Couldn't find anyone to go with me today and I won't put in at the public ramp by Memorial Bridge by myself (too much current and huge pilings nearby). Maybe tommorrow. Also hope to go to Cape Lookout on Friday with a buddy and fish for some BIG Stripers.

Hey it's late December and I'm still fishing (and catching)...... I'm happy even if it is slower paced now :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.