NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RALEIGH, N.C. (Jan. 2) - There's a monster blue catfish out there in Badin Lake.

Eric Fincher of Mount Pleasant knows it, because he caught and released the record-breaking catfish, certified at 89 pounds and four feet, four inches long, in the Stanly and Montgomery counties reservoir.

"I brought him in and pretty much went into shock," Fincher said. "He was too big for the net, but I told my wife I had to get him in the boat, he was a record setter. And somehow, we did."

Unable to find certified scales that afternoon, Fincher took the giant blue catfish to his father-in-law's house, where he made a makeshift holding tank by damming a nearby creek. That was Nov. 25.

On Nov. 27, certified scales were located and Lawrence Dorsey, a fisheries biologist with the Wildlife Resources Commission, was on hand to make things official. Fincher used an Eagle Claw medium rod with an Abu Garcia 6500 reel, fishing a live shiner at 18 feet in a 43-foot depth, on 15-pound test line, while trolling for striped bass.

"The next day, Nov. 28, I took him back to the lake and he swam right off," Fincher said. "I'm confident he's still in there and getting bigger."

The previous record of 85 lbs, caught at Lake Norman, was set in 2004.

To qualify for a state record, anglers must have caught their fish on a hook and line, must have their fish weighed on a certified scale witnessed by one observer, have the fish positively identified by a qualified expert from the Commission and submit an application with a full, side-view photo of the fish. For a list of all freshwater fish state records in North Carolina, visit the Commission's Web site, www.ncwildlife.org.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I was thinking the same thing - I bet the lake will be full of anglers this spring looking to hook up with a new state record (cause the fish will gain a few pounds with all that bait being thrown his way...lol).

·
Registered
330 Posts
We're gonna need a bigger frying pan... not!
The way I see it Eric should get 3 awards.

One for the state record blue cat
One for keeping his wife in the boat during the war
And one for being an incredible sportsman and releasing this huge fish, which had to be as much of a battle as catching it

If this was a female Catfish, just imagine how many baby blues she spawns every year!

Congratulations Eric and thank you for remembering that our children might want to fish too. If there were only more true sportsmen like you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.