NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys we are moving to the Lexington area from WV in a couple weeks. We bought a house 5 minutes from High Rock Lake. Was wondering if there is any smaller areas of water to fish like john boat only waters around Lexington NC? Any water company water lakes that offer boat rentals or pay a fee and bring your own small boat? Cant wait to hit High Rock and try our luck. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Another good bet is tuckertown lake...good fishing esp if they are letting water in/out...old city lake is a small lake that used to have some decent lunkers in it back in the day haven't fished it in 5 years...high rock is feast or famine for bass...hit piers with jigs and shakey heads for a decent chance any day...anymore questions pm

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
North of you, there are several of the types of lakes you describe.

Lake thom-a-lex (some people like the bass fishing there0
Randalman Lake has an electric only side - Very expensive boat launches, though.
High Point City Lake in Jamestown (30 mins or so) has a 10 HP limit, and some nice bass. They also have the rental boats (bring your own trolling motor, motor rental is very expensive)

The small lakes all charge fees... Your boat launch fee may or may not include fishing privileges, ask.

High point and the lakes south of there on the Yadkin chain (tuckertown, Badin, Tillery) have free boat launches. The Yadkin lakes are good for catfish, sometimes good for bass, and they are stocked with stripers.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
The Asheboro lakes are Reese and Lucas. Both have good bass in them, but it can take a little patience to learn where to catch them. High Point City Lake is the same way, it can be slow or phenomenal but once you learn a little about the lake it gets a bit more consistent. The bass in HPCL are solid fish generally. Lucas and HPCL have a reputation for being a good lake to get a handful of bites but with a good chance that one of those might be a big one. Lucas and HPCL have HP restrictions (15hp and 10hp respectively). HPCL will let you launch a boat with a bigger engine, just not run it. Reese does not have a HP restriction of which I am aware.

Thom-A-Lex... well, you may find some fanboys of that one, but I have found it to be among the toughest lakes to catch bass. Back in its day it was supposedly very good but I find it too much like work to catch bass there. I fished the entire 2009 season there and after fishing it twice a week for a year, I just gave up on it. Has some big cats if you're diligent.

Randleman Reservoir has an electric-only section that is better than average for bass fishing, although this year Randleman has been a little less fantastic than previous seasons. They have boat rentals (jon boats, canoes, kayaks). If you rent a jonboat, you will want your own trolling motor. In my opinion, Randleman's electric section is probably the easiest place to have a good chance to catch some bass even if you're not that familiar with the water.

Old Lexington City Lake is a small lake that some of the local guys have been able to go get a big bass here and there, but other than reputation I know little about it. Access is limited as far as I know (meaning the ramp(s) are questionable but canoes and kayaks are launch-able.

PM me if you have any specific questions about Randleman or HPCL, I know those better than the others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.