NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Im new to the area and love to fish. My wife and I actually picked Belews Creek so I could be near the water. I used to live on Lake Hartwell where I fished until I couldnt stand up any more. I went out to Belews Lake today around 6pm for about an hour and really tried to understand what was going on. It was calm and the water was about 66 degrees at Piney Bluff launch.

I went to the HotHole fished both sides of the flow with a DT-10 shad crank, 6 inch lizard and a fluke - nothing. The temp at the hole was about 76 degrees. I saw a few jumping near the points - about 20 feet off the bank. I chased them with a spinner bait - nothing.

I would really like a few tips on the best spots, baits, whatever on the lake. I live about 2 miles from PineyBluff launch so I look forward togetting out there a lot.

thanks for all your help...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Kaikos,
I've had great luck with a Norman Little N in Smokie Joe colour, and Zoom red shad 7.5 inch worms, also off the points a Rattle Trap is a good lure I just a Black Back in Chrome. As to where to fish the S crruves are good during the week (stay away from them on the weekends as the ski boat and jet ski traffic will keep you rockin and rollin) you know about the hot whole and any dock around the lake I've had great luck. Hope this helps and good luck Belews is a nice lake and like you really close for me to fish I
live about 5 miles are so from Pinney Bluff.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Join the crowd with no luck at Belews...LOL

I had a rough time there last year, but I did buy my boat in the dead of summer...the dog days.

If you are facing the hot hole, I have been told by several at church to fish the right side. Last year, the side near the light pole was really good...doesn't make since to me...but the right has fished better this year...or so I am told. I went out a couple of weeks ago and fished the right side like last year...nothing!

As far as beauty, you won't find a prettier nor cleaner lake than Belews! You are also about an 1 to 1.5 hours away from the famous High Rock. I haven't had luck their either this year, but here it is awesome!

Be Blessed, Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your help! Its almost becoming desperate. My wife is beginning to wonder if I really am fishing - there certainly isnt any fish smell on me when I come home! :D

It looks like I can get out there in the early evenings during the week as I know the weekends are supposed to be wild at the launch.

Another question - I like to work the docks - how does a black/dark jig work? Are watermellon worms/lizards better?

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thank you both for your help! Its almost becoming desperate. My wife is beginning to wonder if I really am fishing - there certainly isnt any fish smell on me when I come home! :D

It looks like I can get out there in the early evenings during the week as I know the weekends are supposed to be wild at the launch.

Another question - I like to work the docks - how does a black/dark jig work? Are watermellon worms/lizards better?

Thanks
I don't think the weekends are bad early in the morning. My wife and I usually get there right at daylight (summer) 6am and we are out by 1-2pm. Coming out can be brutal. I think if you were focusing on fishing, out at daylight and back in by noon...wouldn't be bad. STAY AWAY FROM MEMORIAL DAY and JULY FOURTH! CRAZY!

I have never jig fished before and just purchased several this past weekend. I tried it at High Rock and had no success. From what I hear, jig fishing is hard, but the rewards are awesome! Usually resulting in bigger fish!

Just what I have heard.

Be Blessed, Mike

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well once agin I dont wont every one to think im a know it all but this is my best lake around the peidmont and the rock is my second fav lake.Sounds like you got the right lures and the right ideas.Timming is one of the key things about the lake.Parrelling DT10s will produce a lot of fish on belews the key to it is get that cb a digging if it is not rakeing the bottom you arent going to get as many bites.Got to slow roll the spinner bait bumpping the bottom as well it works. There are other anglers here that have seen me do these tactics then I use a lot of carolina rigs small lizzards and big worms 10"zooms you wont to use zoom lizzards to.The best thing to is fish real slow till you get more confident on the water you are fishing.You can also contact me with a private message and ill give you my cell number.This past weekend was really good out there and there is a way around all the weeekend worriors. Ill tell ya that one in person.:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
lite;
Oh son, you just keep "knowing it all" getting some good info on different ways to fish the Belews, I've had to figure the lake out on my own for too many years Thanks for all the info.

devildognc

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
There are a bunch of folks who catch fish at belews . Unfortunately I am not one of them . There are alot of cruiser fish . The water is very clear . And people do have alot of luck fishing deep . I feel that has to do with visibility decrease. Line style makes a difference . Light line flouro leaders and things of that nature mmay be more necessary than other places. I will say when you get them patterned the people who do catch fish there consistently catch fish there year round

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
EDIT: Sorry for the wall of text. Didn't realize it was going so long.

Belews is a fickle lake, and its personality changes from day to day or week to week. The bass in that lake don't necessarily behave like fish in other typical reservoirs, so be patient and try different things. If you can find bait in abundance that's a good place to start, the bass really seem to orient to the bait out there quite a bit. I only fish Belews from about November till March, so I'm not as much help during warmer months, but I will throw in my 2 cents.

For soft plastics, natural colors seem to work best if you're under 20 feet of water where the visibility is good for the fish... watermelon, pumpkin seed, and I use a *lot* of green pumpkin. Little chartreuse highlights don't hurt. There are cruisers on the shorelines, but you want to make long casts due to the clear water... if you see them, they see you, and they are very unlikely to hit anything at that point. If you're seeing lots of cruisers, then sometimes you can catch them by just fishing what I call the "green line"... the point at which the bottom goes from being visible to just the blue, brown or green color as it disappears from view. Working that line with long casts with twitch baits, cranks, or shakey heads can yield catches but you have to cover a lot of water sometimes.

Downsize your line for the clear water, I don't throw anything bigger than 8lb test leaders (long leaders - I use braid, so I tie long leaders at Belews like 10 feet. Might be overkill but it helps my confidence, which makes a difference in itself).

The points near Humphrey's are good ones in general due to contour and cover and proximity to main lake channel; I tend to C-rig those with zoom trick worms or zoom lizards in natural colors. Also if I don't know what's happening out there I'll turn to hopping jigs and plastics (shakey heads with zoom trick worms in natural colors are good, and I still throw Texas rigs even though some claim "it's not a Texas rig lake") down the really steep banks that are near the channel, especially near the channel turns. The S-turns are good places for that but the boat traffic can make that a challenge.

If you see surface smashes, you can catch those fish but you gotta be really fast getting the bait in front of them. Xraps are good for that, and sometimes wacky rigged senkos allowed to slow fall like a wounded shad work. The bass at Belews will hang out deep, charge bait at the surface and then dive again, in a rapid fashion. If you are seeing surface boils around you but can't get the bait on them quickly, try tossing an umbrella rig or a lipless crank in the area, count it down to around 18-25 feet and work it in.

You can sometimes catch fish in laydowns / fallen trees but the majority of the shoreline laydowns don't go deep enough. If you find tree trunks or root balls sticking up at an angle pointing down into deeper water, those deep laydowns are the better ones to focus on. I've caught fish sometimes fishing those, but you have to be paying attention to see the really good ones, and then locate the branches by probing deep with the soft plastics.

The hot hole is sometimes productive, since there is usually bait milling around in that area; I would fish it for a bit, focus on the left and right sides of the main current, especially the rocky point on the right if you're facing it (assuming there isn't a boat on it already) with plastics or a lipless crank; but I wouldn't spend a huge amount of time there if you don't get bit.

Watch your sonar for the preferred depth that the fish are hanging in that day, try to focus on areas with bait, and keep moving if you're not getting bit. Talk to locals if you can get them to talk, and be patient with it... Belews has good fishing but it's got a mind of its own and it doesn't like to follow the rules.

Good luck!

·
Registered
418 Posts
^Wow, tough to get better tips than that. Nice post, SurfRider. I might try Belews some time in the future because it's close to me.

Side note - I wonder if the original poster is confused because he's getting email notifications from a site he hasn't been on since 2008. Start your own thread next time Tyman, it might get you more responses.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I have learned some things about fishing late Fall till early Spring, but I think the patterns should hold up at least till summer. A lot of what I have learned I owe to fishing with Jim ("Bronchotwisterjim") over the last few seasons, and then adding in the things I have learned by time spent on the water and tips from others. :D In summer when the water is in the 90's I suspect they are going to be deep and a lot of people night fish, but if you can tolerate the boat traffic you can probably find them.

Also, forgot to mention, don't forget to go up past the 65 bridge (not at Piney Bluff, the other arm of the creek) and look for the cooler water, especially around the standing timber up by the railroad trestle. If you go up there you'll see the two pockets with the timber. I don't necessarily catch fish there all the time, but when the bait is really balled up in that section just before the cut through the old railroad, moving baits will sometimes score some fish. Often they might be hanging in the open water or just at the edge of the timber, not necessarily back in it. If you see bait, look for the bass at Belews. That's what they really seem to orient to more than anything is the bait.

The shad there are small, so smaller baits sometimes get bit when the bigger baits don't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.