NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

im new to the area and just bought a kayak.. I was wondering where there may be good fishing spots that I could get public access to...I checked out a spot on Catawba lake below lake Wylie today and didn't seem to bad close to where 77 crosses the river.. Also I have no idea about how the fish here. .. I'm used to fishing a Texas rig near the banks.. Any fishing strategies I could keep in mind? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Depending on where you live, there are lots of opportunities in the area surrounding Charlotte. Lake Norman, Lake Wylie and Mountain Island Lake are all good options and have good access for kayaks. Each of them has their own personality, but are fun to fish.

I can only speak from a bass fishing standpoint, but I am having pretty good success with a wacky rigged senko type bait. I like any color as long as it is green. I am fishing it with a lightly weighted wacky hook and letting it fall pretty close to the bottom. After the fall, a short hop and then fall again...repeat as needed until you get it back to you.

I am using it around docks that end in about 12 to 15 feet of water, less if the water is dirtier and more if clearer, of course.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Lake Norman can be kinda rough this time of year, a lot of recreational and heavy weight boaters. Best to fish weekdays if possible. There are some good public launch ramps at the Mooresville exit near Queen's Landing. Once September get's here the traffic dies down substantially.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.