NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I was just recently introduced to fishing by a buddy of mine. He even let me borrow an old rod he had that he wasn't using at the time so that i could get my casting practice in. I was just wondering though what a good rod & reel would be for someone who is just starting. I fished a small pond or lake when he took me and the rod he let me borrow was a light action. I was wondering if i should invest in a medium action rod or keep it light. The place we went had mostly crappie, sunfish and i believe bullhead cat. Any info would be greatly appreciated, and i do mean any info im new to the whole fishing thing and i could use it all.

Thx

Noob

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Welcome aboard.

That light action rod is great for pan fish (crappie, sunfish, blue gills) and even small bass. Might need one with a bit more strength for those cats.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
"good rod and reel" will get you a big range of answers from different fishermen.
For a first rod go medium for more versatility up and down. Unless you`re rich just start out with a spinning combo from Wallyworld or anywhere with a combo about 30 bucks. Diawa and Mitchell have some good ones in that range. Chances are you`ll end up with more specialized and more expensive ones later. Just my .02
Use the search function up top. There is a wealth of info from previous posts.
Don`t forget the best rod/reel isn`t much good with crappy line and hooks on it.
Welcome to NCangler !

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Lots of decent cheap combos out there. I've got a couple of them from wal mart that aren't the best but they do the job. Also keep an eye on cabelas.com and basspro.com as they will sometimes run exceptional deals on items that they are closing out. I like the medium action rods as stu said just for the different things you can do with them.

Welcome to fishing and ncangler.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
welcome to the site and to start cheap diawa d-shock or sweep fires medium heavy rod and reel 20 bucks at dudleys marina if ya cant find them most tackle shops sell those reels but one get one free for 24.99 and a cheap 10 rod will do ya wonders ;)
cheap is all i use and ive never had a problem,that way if i break one no big deal cheap enought to buy another ;)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Welcome to the site noobfisher. For a first rod and reel I would go as suggested with a Medium rod with a spinning reel. I'm sure once you get the fishing fever you may end up getting a light and/or a larger heaver rod. The conventional or bait caster reel does take some time and practice to master. Right now I have three fresh water rods and reels (one baitcaster and two spining) and three saltwater rod and reels (all three conventional reels). I have medium light, medium and medium heavy in both salt and fresh water. I choose which one I'm using by the fish which I'm targeting or by the way I'm fishing bait fishing, drift fishing or trolling .

Tim C

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Welcome to the sport and the site. I too suffer from adult-onset fishin' pox - I just got a head start on you by about four years (gee, has it been that long?)

Here's one of the things I thought about when I was asking that question... and when I was considering cheap-versus-expensive... The two main negatives involved in purchasing lower-cost gear are (1) it's more likely to disintegrate faster, and (2) it might perform too poorly. I chose to address those two points as follows. (1) if it wears out or otherwise fails quickly, good, that means I'm fishing enough to wear it out. Good excuse to get something better next time. To combat item (2), I decided that if I just couldn't get the darn thing to work right, it was probably due to cheap stuff, so I made the decision that I'd take the risk, and try again with better stuff, in the event that it didn't work well. This was just one of those stubborn decisions to not give up.

In the process, I learned a few things about what I consider to be valuable features or qualities in some of my gear -- what things I'm willing to pay more money for. A solid anti-reverse is worth a few bucks in my book, but until I'd used a few reels with weaker anti-reverse, I didn't appreciate that. Also it wasn't until like my 4th or 5th spinning reel that I found one that reels really smooth... that's just nice.

So far the only reel I've broken has been a Quantum SnapShot - not sure they make 'em any more. That was like a $20 combo - the trigger mechanism broke, who'd have guessed... ;)

Welcome aboard, you've found a great place to hang out.
Lefty

·
Registered
658 Posts
take a ride up to bass pro shops, they always have a deal on inexpensive spinning combos. you can get some local knowledge on what tackle you might need. once you start its an addiction. I have 27 combos in the room now, but i usually use 5 of my favorites.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you can wait until Feb. 27th. I got a sale flier today
from bass pro shop they have some good buys and
some fishing pro's giving clinics. Don't go cazy buying
everything they say catch fish. Starting out I would go
with a medium/light rod and a spinning reel. A state
record catfish was caught with a $5.00 barbie combo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow, thanks for all the replies. Ill take everything into consideration while im picking my gear. Hope to see you all out on the water sometime.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If Basspro is too far to drive and you don't trust the online thing (not that I'd blame you) Dicks tends to have nice combo's (rod and reel paired for each other) that you occassionally find a cheap as $20, like diawa and quantum. Dick's also has a Field and Stream Line that I have a 7' med act. spinning rod that I love for finessing those honey's. I had to get my own reel but pay particular attn to the shaft of the rod. The spec's on there will tell you what size line range to use, which will also narrow down your reel selections as well as the rod's length. Fishing is a evil little game of patience, exciting at first but tortureous in the end if you spend wildly off the gun. Stay fairly cheap and graduate upwards as you go. See if you really truly like the time and $ you're investing in the sport. A big part of it is trial and error, which naturally / usually means you're going to spend some money. (I really don't want to know the $ I dropped over this last year, I'd probably be in hot water w/ the Mrs. if truth be known!) Lefty's right (hah..'xuse the pun), it's contagious...kinda like the love bug..at times you just don't care.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts