NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

New to NC, by way of Arizona, by way of Atlanta, originally from Miami, FL. Did a lot of fishing out in AZ (High mountain lakes are primo for taking trout on spinning tackle), and saltwater boat fishing in FL. So far I have been out twice locally, once to Penny's Bend on the Eno, once to Lake Mitchie in Durham. One small cat and one small sunfish is about all. Hoping to get some orientation as to local (i.e. about an hour's drive max) fishing spots, as well as pointers about what to catch and how to catch them. I have little ones at home, so big fishing adventures are not the order of the day at the moment.

-E

Oh, since I can post pictures, here was my results from a trip last week back to Reservation Lake in the Arizona White Mountains. Thats my handy-dandy one-man pontoon fishing boat you can see the corner of.

And here was the haul for 4 hrs.

The next day I went trolling, and caught about 10 of the rainbows in about 3 hrs time.

_E

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Sounds like your in a good location for both Falls lake (closest) Kerr Lake in Henderson and Jordan Lake so your in a great spot!!! You can use the "Search" function and review old posts about all of these lakes and learn alot, but the people here are always ready to help!!! Welcome aboard!!! We have an ever growing and "fiesty" armada of Kayakers and Canoeists as well !!

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Hey eavega,

Nice pink fish! Don't see those in the crystal clear waters of the neuse... Have to head out west toward Nantahala or go north with Al K to the Smith River in VA.

Winter is crappie season on the Eno - that can be a good time in Durham. Right now is time for schoolies on Falls lake - early morning or evening they'll collect and feed on shad schools on the surface, usually near larger creek mouths. Any time is a good time to hop & drag texas rig worms along fallen trees if you've got the patience. There's another thread out here in the freshwater kayak forum trying to plan a float trip on the Haw below Jordan Lake. You might want to get in on that if you brought your 'toon.

That contraption might get you a spot on the map. May have to conduct an inspection first tho. What powers it?

Good to have you around!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That contraption might get you a spot on the map. May have to conduct an inspection first tho. What powers it?

Good to have you around!
That pontoon boat is small enough to pack into a 36x16x16 duffel and weighs about 40 lbs (I brought it back from Arizona as checked baggage). Think two inflatable pontoons with a beach chair strapped between them. Keeps you out of the water, and is really made for fly fishing but is a great platform for floating you to hard-to-reach spots. Pure oar power, although they do make sturdier models that can take a small electric motor. I have been trying to noodle out how to get a small trolling motor attached to it.

I saw on another thread (Corporate Bass) that you work in RTP, and I think we work at the same company. Look me up on your corporate messaging, my username is the same as it is on this forum. I am definitely looking for fishing buddies.
-E

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
That pontoon boat is small enough to pack into a 36x16x16 duffel and weighs about 40 lbs (I brought it back from Arizona as checked baggage). Think two inflatable pontoons with a beach chair strapped between them. Keeps you out of the water, and is really made for fly fishing but is a great platform for floating you to hard-to-reach spots. Pure oar power, although they do make sturdier models that can take a small electric motor. I have been trying to noodle out how to get a small trolling motor attached to it.
OK - you pass inspection. I don't think anybody will mind sharing the map with a dually that only goes in reverse. Find this post for details on getting added to the map -- http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f56/my-fellow-kayakers-3659.html.

I saw on another thread (Corporate Bass) that you work in RTP, and I think we work at the same company. Look me up on your corporate messaging, my username is the same as it is on this forum. I am definitely looking for fishing buddies.
-E
Found another one. Probably more lurking. Maybe our employer should become an official sponsor too... (gonna need an angler in Corporate PR to swing that one).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.