NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My girlfriend and I moved to Chapel Hill, NC a year or so ago and recently purchased fishing rods. Since we live so close to University Lake, we felt that it'd be a shame if we didn't fish every weekend! So this past weekend was our first time fishing in probably 10-15 years. We went Saturday and Sunday and absolutely loved it.

I have a few questions though...where can I buy live bait around here? The only place I found was Walmart on 15-501, and the "live" bait I purchased was beyond dead.

Secondly, does anyone have any bait suggestions? Live / Lure?

Any and all help would be MUCH appreciated. We're admittedly very new and horrible fishermen, but we'd love any tips you want to throw our way!

Thanks a lot!

-JV

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
jv, what kind of fish are you targeting? That's going to enable us to give you the proper information.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
jv,
welcome to the best site around for friendships and help many good people here to help you in your quest ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jv, what kind of fish are you targeting? That's going to enable us to give you the proper information.
Whatever is in University Lake and is catchable!

So...

"[SIZE=-1]largemouth bass, catfish, crappie, warmouth and bluegill"

amongst others!

THANKS SO MUCH!!
[/SIZE]

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Don't know where the local bait store is up there but since your close to Jordan I imagine there are several in the area. For live bait, nightcrawlers will do well for bass or catfish (fished on the bottom with a Carolina Rig which is basically a barrel sinker above a swivel with a 3 foot leader tied to which you attach your hook). This keeps the bait just off the bottom. You can probably google 'carolina rig' if you need a picture of it. Another good bait to rig this way is a shiner (bass minnow) though it's fun to fish those under a bobber as well. The best way to catch a big catfish is to first catch a small bream (use a small piece of crawler on a small hook) and hook him through the back on a 2/0 hook carolina rigged. Chunk it out, put it on a forked stick and get ready to rumble.

Or you could go to Wally world and get some green or purple 6" plastic worms and some worm hooks (rubber worm hooks have an offset eye). These work well for bass on light line fished weightless and weedless. Work it back towards you VERY slowly. Also a Jointed Back Rapala minnow lure is tough to beat for bass and larger crappie. Small spinner baits will catch any of those species too. Have fun!

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Small inline spinners or beetle spins will catch about anything in the lake from small to large. Rattle traps and
minnow imitating lures will bring in the big boys of bass. Plastic worms or senko style of worms worked
around trees and stumps will also produce some nice bass.

Check out the "Search" function on the top blue bar and see if anything is listed for University lake
or your area for fishing...:)

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
I know there are a bunch of members who fish in your area and most of us are always willing to help teach new anglers. I'm sure you can 'hook up' with someone from this site in your area who would be willing to spend some time fishing with you. Welcome!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much!!

small inline spinners or beetle spins will catch about anything in the lake from small to large. Rattle traps and
minnow imitating lures will bring in the big boys of bass. Plastic worms or senko style of worms worked
around trees and stumps will also produce some nice bass.

Check out the "search" function on the top blue bar and see if anything is listed for university lake
or your area for fishing...:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts