NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy.
I'm looking around right now at these forums and have to admit. I'm pretty new to all of this.

My name is Dan and I've got a problem. I've been introduced to fishing and I like it.

Matter of fact, my wife and I have started taking outings every Saturday morning to enjoy it.

Just got a new fishing rod and reel for my birthday. It's not one of your high dollar jobs which is designed to scare the fish into your cooler but it sure is shiny and nice looking. The action is really smooth as well.

I fish using those North Carolina Night Crawlers. You know the ones. It seems like you are wrapping a snake around the end of your hook.

To date (only been fishing for about 3 weeks now), I've caught one crappie, two turtles (meaner than heck) and a catfish. Boy them catfish sure are UGLY!

I did have a fishing experience once when I was a young lad. It seems that a friend of mine talked me into skipping school one day and going fishing.

Well, I caught me a catfish that day. My friend told me the only way to kill this here catfish was to pick up a pretty solid rock and beat him to death.

I beat and beat on that catfish but he didn't seem to want to die. I told myself anything that tough deserved to live. I tossed him back.

Hope to hear some good tips. I figure it doesn't matter what I catch. As long as what I catch puts up a good fight. I've seen some people fighting pretty good with sticks and logs.

Later!

Dan

·
Registered
840 Posts
Welcome Dan.

I myself am fairly new to these here forums. I'll tell you, from what I've seen so far, you are in very good company. I've been spending most of first week here cruising through some of the old posts and things and I must say that there is a LOT of information here irregardless of what kind of fishing you plan on doing.

If you have a question, don't hesitate to leave it here. I've no doubt that someone will reply, and promptly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you good sir. As time goes on and life gets shorter, I'm finding that I have a real patience for fishing now. I enjoy sitting back and becoming one with nature.

See ya around the forums.

Dan

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Dan, welcome aboard! As long as you stick with nightcrawlers and just kick back and let Nature take it's course you don't have a problem. When you can't drive by a tackle shop without wandering in and trading green stamps for the latest new toy, then you can say you have a problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ummm... Well, I can't say that I've been trading the green for it (due to very tight restrictions). She's called a wife. I spend money, she restricts her fingers around my throat. Keeps me at bay to say the least.

But nah. I'm just a city boy gone country who just enjoys what he has when he has it. It doesn't prevent me from visiting all of these nice websites selling fishing stuff and goo-ing and gah-ing at the stuff I don't even have a clue how it works.

I did try the open face reel once. I had to put it down after the line tangled so horribly after my first cast, I had to cut the entire line out.

My new toy is a Shakespeare Mantis Spincasting Combo. I got it for less than $20 at the local Wal-Mart but it's going to do just fine for what I plan to do with it. I'm excited cause I'm taking her for her first spin tomorrow. LMAO!!! GET IT?? Spincast? Spin?

Mercy, I tear myself up sometimes. Anyways, I know it's not anything fancy for the big boys out there but it doesn't matter as long as the wife and I have fun. Might even make a picnic out of it tomorrow. (Not of what we catch). We don't catch that many. Probably fried chicken or something.

Thanks again for the welcome. One day, I might even try boat fishing. lol

Dan

·
Registered
852 Posts
Welcome. If you ever do decide to keep a catfish to eat (and they are well worth it, once you figure out how to clean them), I have found that if you put them in a cooler buried in ice as soon as you catch them that most of them will be dead and ready to clean after 5 or six hours, plus the ice firms them up and makes them easier (and a lot less bloody) to fillet. Works faster for most other fish, but like you mentioned, cats are just hard to kill.

If you like using nightcrawlers, Walmart usually has the best prices, just make sure they are alive when you get them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Backlash,
Thank you for your welcome too. Just trying to find the area where I'll fill everyone in on my excursion yesterday. Going to have to get some tips and tricks from you guys when it comes to all of this stuff. I'm clearly a novice and have a grand time but those hours of sitting there trying to prompt a nibble gets frustrating.

Dan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeez guys. I didn't see all of the other posts up there welcoming me. I tend to get to the last of the replies and think it's going dead on me. I really appreciate the warm welcome. I'll be honest. I kinda thought that experienced fisher fellows such as the ones who frequent this board might look at newbies like me and laugh. But heck, you guys have made me feel welcome and quite at home. Thanks alot to all of you.

I can tell I'm going to enjoy myself here.
Dan

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I'll be honest. I kinda thought that experienced fisher fellows such as the ones who frequent this board might look at newbies like me and laugh.
Nah, we're too busy laughing at each other. Besides, almost everyone here either is or once was a newbie, and those who were born with immeasurable fishing prowess have been surrounded by the rest of us so long, they're used to it now.

That Mantis rod is perfectly adequate for accomplishing Rule #1 -- getting your line in the water, and Rule #2, doing it again! A few weeks ago I fought something I couldn't see -- we think it was a cobia -- for two hours using a Quantum combo that I bought for I think $20 with a $5 mail-in rebate. After using it for most of a year I replaced the line on it, but aside from that, it's held up just fine.

Welcome aboard!!

Reactions: wartimethings

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just be careful of those turtles. Those things are quite dangerous. They hiss and spit at you like they want to gnaw on your leg for a little while. Now, mind you, I'm not scared of a good scrap being a former Marine. However, when you have a beast that ugly looking at you saying it wants to take a piece of you home to meet mama, well, now that's an attention getter.

I thank you for your advice. I love my new pole and think it's shininess will outweigh anything about it. I have to admit. I do love casting the thing out. It's action is so smooth that it is a cadillac compared to the one I had before.

Later!

Dan

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome to the party!!! be sure to utilized the "Search" function on the sight to see tons of info that has been posted in the past. I do a "beginners blog" here as well that may be of some assistance as I update it........ http://www.ncangler.com/forums/blogs/fishing-101-a-beginners-guide/
What area of the state are you fishing in by the way?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mostly a state of dumb-founded. You know the type, glazed eyes.... small amount of drool dripping from the lips.

OH! You meant state as in where in the nation....lol.

I'm here in good old North Carolina. Was just thinking that I had updated my location in my profile to show Wadesboro, NC but apparently I didn't. Going to have to check on that one.

Hey Sundrop. I think I saw on a television special about Washington, NC where you guys call your town, the original Washington?

From what I saw, it's a neat town. At least if I'm remembering correctly. Mind goes numb sometimes.

Later!

Dan

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Mostly a state of dumb-founded. You know the type, glazed eyes.... small amount of drool dripping from the lips.

OH! You meant state as in where in the nation....lol.

I'm here in good old North Carolina. Was just thinking that I had updated my location in my profile to show Wadesboro, NC but apparently I didn't. Going to have to check on that one.

Hey Sundrop. I think I saw on a television special about Washington, NC where you guys call your town, the original Washington?

From what I saw, it's a neat town. At least if I'm remembering correctly. Mind goes numb sometimes.

Later!

Dan
LOL!! I hear ya... "state of confusion" is where you'll find me most of the time...
Washington is pretty nice, just getting crowded and overrun like anywhere else on the water these days.. Too many outsiders want to come here for the small town feel and then they bring there fast paced ways with them and ruin it all....
It is the first town in the USA that was incorporated under the name of President Washington so it is the "original Washington"... Now the tourism bunch calls the area the "Inner Banks" or IBX as you see on window stickers, trying to play it up for the "invaders"..LOL ( I just moved here myself 2 yrs ago but it was because I married a local...)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Nah, we're too busy laughing at each other.
only lefty can catch a "STICK" 30 miles off shore and be proud of it..:rolleyes::D

the more you get into fishing the larger the tackle monkey gets..my tackle monkey spends most of my money for me..:(

zooker

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I can say, although my wife is the more experienced fisher in this household, she did catch more sticks than I did last weekend. But you know, in my short experience, those sticks and logs put up a whole lot more fight than the fish.

Hey Zooker, what's a tackle monkey?

Dan

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have that Shakespeare Mantis combo myself. It's colored Cardinal and Gold like the University Of Southern California (FIGHT ON!!!) so we call it my "Trojan Mantis" (yes, i name all my poles)

That combo, my friend, is one dang fine piece of fish hunting apparatus. I have outfished every single knucklehead who has dared to tangle with me and my Trojan Mantis. It's just got such nice action, and the push button on the spool is the bomb, and i swear, having the drag dial in the back....great idea.

My advice to you though, is get yourself a philips head jeweler screwdriver, and get rid of that EZ Cast madness. Just gets in the way. Other than that, keep the sucker oiled up and greased, and you are in business, my friend. Given a choice, my Trojan Mantis comes with me before any other pole.

Welcome to the forum and welcome BACK to fishing. Both of them are more addictive than crack. I love reading that you and the missus have set aside Saturdays for fishing. Nothing is a better bonding experience than fishing. My little lady and I try to go as often as possible. Only problem is she outfishes me. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.