NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am heading to Ashville NC in a week and have secured my General Out of State license, and have heard I will need a Trout stamp? I will be fishing with my 11 year old grandson, and will have to secure a couple poles, and gear, to say nothing of lures etc? Kinda in the dark about river, and lake fishing. I do not want to fly fish, (Injury to upper torso) but would appreciate some help as to what gear I will need, etc.
Glad to see this forum here, it looks very helpful and friendly. Will keep checking back. Thanks for any advice. Hoganz

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
Any idea what body or bodies of water you'll have access to? Lakes vs. rivers, boat, bank, wading? We have a handful of members in the western part of the state, perhaps try posting also in the Freshwater Fishing section as well as peruse the reports section from the mountains.

Welcome to NCAngler!

Reactions: RouseD and dbeam

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
Glad you have joined us

what day are you coming and going home? I-40 passes through Hickory if I am off I could take you and the grandson out on Lake Hickory for some bream action.

As far as tackle and such surfrider was right we could advise better if we knew what you wanted to do. Most of the trout water is going to be Hatchery Supported class (you can tell by the wildlife diamonds on the trees near the streams) If you fish hatchery streams it is hard to beat a chunk of night crawler with a small split shot. any regular panfish hook will do. You can check the NC wildlife resources commission site. Look under fishing, then where to fish, then click on the interactive map it will show you the public areas open for fishing. Unless your license is "comprehensive" you will need a trout stamp.

Darrell

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Welcome to the site. If you were a lover of fly fishing, and would still love to give it a try, you may want to look at some of Lefty Kreh's vids on casting with your elbow at your side, and if your injuries aren't too bad, you may be able to use a short 4 wt fly rod, using Lefty's method. Not sure how serious your injury is, but just hate to know that someone who loves fly fishing had to give it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts