NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a saltwater surfcaster pretty much my whole life and now, at the ancient age of 53, I want to explore freshwater.
What I'm looking for right now are some good spots in and around Greenville.
My girlfriend and I have already discovered River Park North.
Where else is there that offers public fishing nearby?
Of course, I also need advice on pretty much everything else, LOL.
What lures to use and for what, what rigs and bait to use and for what.
We've caught a few catfish so I'm assuming they're easy.
I'd like to get into some Carp, Bass and whatever else runs around these parts.
I guess, eventually, I'd like to try my hand at fly fishing but I think that's a future endeavor.
Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Welcome to the site! Good luck on your freshwater venture! A few simple searches of this forum will lend you a hand in chasing any of the mentioned species....

Sent from my kayak...

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I'm 50...not ancient by any means! Hahaha! You will find lot of info here and lots of fish to catch. For me, I stick to the bass, but lots of people here that fish for other species, too.

Reactions: felixtcat

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
Just out of curiosity, would you be bank or boat fishing? I am not in your area so I can't help you, but you may find folks better able to give you suggestions if they know more of what you're looking for.

Welcome to NCAngler!

Reactions: felixtcat

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
Welcome to the site. not sure about your area, but if I can ever help you out on this ends of the state let me know.

Darrell

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome!
jerry & lewis (ok, that's a really funny coincidence) - Yeah, I know 53 ain't ancient, just feels that way sometimes.LOL

SurfRider - I'm bank fishing. Although I wouldn't be against boat fishing if someone wanted to donate a spot on their boat. :p

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
if im not mistaken buckhorn resevoir isn't too far from greenville and should have some bank access, not tons but a little bit.

this time of year buzzbaits and other topwaters early in the morning and late in the evening tend to be productive, soft plastics and shallow running crankbaits have also been producing some bites for me. If you can get to some deeper water throw a carolina rig with a lizard or 10" ribbontail worm and work it slow. As we get in to late september/october the bass bite will pick up quite a bit

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to NC Anglers felix. You'll find plenty of people here that can assist you. Being that I am 50 does that make me almost ancient? :)
I think 50 qualifies as "Older than dirt" LOL

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
I'm 41, I guess that makes me a Spring chicken!

Reactions: dbeam and felixtcat

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
I don't know about spring chicken.
Maybe fall turkey?
lol, don't let my wife see that post, she'd just laugh and say something like "totally!" Got a good chuckle out of that one.

Reactions: dbeam and felixtcat

·
Registered
57 Posts
I understand River Park North at GVL has produced some nice carp in the past, and may be a good first call for you.
Not sure if they are still there after the various rains and polutions though.
Good luck and keep us posted!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts