NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently switched from bass fishing to Intercoastal Waterway fishing and it has been an awesome switch. That said, I have had my butt handed to me on a few occasions.
I spend my time fishing in the Sunset Beach/Ocean Isle area of the Intercostal, again, it has been an awesome switch because honestly, you never know what you are going to hook. (unlike bass fishing)
So while listening to the locals they promote live bait/cut bait and the VuDu shrimp artificial bait as being all that you need.
I bait my kids hooks with squid and watch while they catch croakers usually as fast as they can cast. I have tried the VuDu shrimp and to date nothing, but then I heard stories about instead of constant casting, place a float on your line, run the VuDu bait down roughly 4' and let it sit there. Ok, next trip to the beach and I'll give this a shot.
Here's where I am stumped. I have two of my rods geared with 30# test line. I have been cutting roughly 2'x2' pieces of cut mullet, hook the bait and cast. Drag is set, leave it alone and wait to see what happens.
Friday while casting the VuDu bait I had a fish hit the bait and run for deeper water. It was peeling line off quickly. I grabbed my rod, held on firmly and whatever it was had some size to it and roughly 20 seconds later snapped the line as if it were 6# test. Bummer
Minutes later the same thing happened on rod #2 with the same results, line snapped.

Perhaps I am wrong but I thought 30 pound test would be more than enough for inshore fishing, appears that I am wrong? I know this is a dumb question to ask, but any thoughts as to what type fish this could be? Some have speculated large sting rays, others have mentioned large female red drums and a few have mentioned sharks. I am trying to figure out how to retool and at least give myself a chance at whatever it is that chooses to run out 150' of brand new fishing line then snap it like it was nothing.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I would say big ray. Usually a red isn't going to pull out 150 yards of line I don't think. If you are land based fishing I would stick with the cut bait. You need to be continuously moving and casting for the vudu shrimp to be effective.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I second the big ray. You also may want to check your terminal knots just in case there is a weakness. Generally, fishing in the main ICW results in a couple of things: sharks, rays, and bait stealers such as pinfish or small bluefish. I suggest finding a main creek or marshy cut off of the main waterway to fish. Usually there are more desirable gamefish in the creeks and bays of these areas. Look for oyster bars and marshy points with current.
If you are going to continue fishing the deep waters of the intracoastal waterway, fish the docks with some live bait or artificials. Big flounder should be showing up in force and they are much more desirable than sting rays. They like to hang out under docks near deeper water. And as rooster said, the best way to fish a vudu shrimp is to cast it, and cover water as you do so.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had the same thing happen to me more than once (I'm also new to this). I finally caught one in that situation the other day and it was indeed a large ray. Shortly after I caught a decent sized blue that did the same thing and I think they've been just biting through the line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
We fish for adult reds with 30# power pro and i have never had one snap on me. They usually turn with ease, after a series of awesome bulldogging runs. Usually a sting ray will feel like dead weight that pulls in one direction, stays on the bottom, and does not want to give any line. They will suck to the bottom and hold there, and make the angler think that they have hooked moby dick. This is due to the anatomy of the ray itself. A large red drum will take off once he feels the hook, and you will know the difference as soon as the drag starts screaming. He will bulldog through different depths, left and right, and sometimes running directly at the boat during the fight.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Ditto the ray and checking your knots and checking your line for nicks and frays. It could also be toothy creatures or sharks/bluefish biting you off.30 pound braid is more than enough for any fish that swims in inshore/nearshore waters. I catch old drum with 10 pound braid all day long in late summer, early fall. Last summer with the same braid I was catching 80-100 pound spinner sharks. The key is putting the right angle on your rod for the way the fish is running and having a properly set drag.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your feedback. To clarify, I was fishing directly in front of an opening going in to a marshy area and at low tide I saw lots of oyster bed. Where I had casted my cut bait was in roughly 4' of water approx 50 yards from a grassy area of the shoreline (in the Intercoastal directly in front of the marshy area opening).
Also, whatever this was did not plant itself to the bottom, it just took off at full speed headed for deep water (channel marker where the water was roughly 15' deep)
Regardless it was a thrill, just wish I knew what it was. This goes down as the "one that got away"

Rick

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
****** nailed it. Rays have wings, stay close to the bottom with a constant pull.
After catching a few Rays you'll get to know that feeling.
Cupping the spool will add more drag to the reel. ........ ICM

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Ray for sure but I'd bet $1000.00 one found in the ICW couldn't snap 30# line that is in good shape. Had to be a bad knot (my first guess) or a bad knot. Not always easy to determine by physical inspection.
As for getting your butt handed to you I would suspect this is the norm for the average fisherman. If you think about it what would it be called if you caught fish every time out? That's right. It would be called, "much more fun than sitting under a scorching sun only to come home with nothing to show for it"
How old are your kids? Let them bait their own hook. You've got fish to catch.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have landed some monster rays in the ICW and backwaters and don't use anywhere near 30# line except for maybe a leader and they normally will not break me off. If the line has been cut- I'd say a shark. Normally a big ray will get tired and often just sit on the bottom. If you put enough pressure on it- normally it will start swimming again and make it easier to bring in. When they dig in- its nearly impossible to move them. It could also be that your line was scraped up on some oyster shells during the fight and cause a weak spot in it. Keep trying and you'll figure it out- Rays can be a pain but they are also lots of fun when the fishing is slow.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All of your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Regarding which knot is used, personally I only know of one from bass fishing and it is the Palomar knot, perhaps it is not the right one to use for saltwater fishing? The knot has served me well with bass fishing and catching large cat fish but hey, I am very receptive to change.

I am hitting the water Thursday morning, brand new line all spooled up and ready to go. I shall not be beaten lol

Rick

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Also... if your Rod shakes violently...U should have a fish with fins...90 % of the time... if your Rod bends in an almost straight arch, with no Shake...U got yourself a Ray...
But...Landing Big Boy Ray's is Kool too...

Attachments

Reactions: ice cream man

·
Registered
230 Posts
Fishing in the ICW around Nixon's last October, a buddy and I witnessed on two occasions a ray about 5 foot across breach 3-4 feet into the air. It had to be way north of 100 lbs and when it returned to the water it sounded like somebody dropped a refrigerator in the drink.

I could not not imagine the damage that beast would cause to my 18' boat if I hit it while on plane. After seeing this I always attach the kill switch cord above my elbow every time I start my engine.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Also... if your Rod shakes violently...U should have a fish with fins...90 % of the time... if your Rod bends in an almost straight arch, with no Shake...U got yourself a Ray...
But...Landing Big Boy Ray's is Kool too...
Perfect explanation. ...... ICM

Spotted Eagle Rays are really big, too.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rod did not have enough time to shake violently, the entire ordeal lasted no more than 20 seconds and it was all over. It kinda reminded me of blue fishing. Blues just do a drive by and gone. That said I am not sure if blues run through the Intercoastal or not.

Headed to Tubbs Inlet tomorrow, hoping for some action.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Palomar is a proper knot for the salt.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
could have been any number of things, rays, a bad knot or chopper blues...the big choppers can cut through some line pretty quick. I don't know if any of you remember but I believe it was last year there was a great white shark that was tagged and they tracked her along our coast and she made several trips into the ICW...mainly up around Ocracoke inlet but you never know what may decided to swim in and take a bite. That is one reason I love fishing the salt!
http://www.ocearch.org/profile/mary_lee/
http://www.wcti12.com/news/researchers-track-another-white-shark-off-eastern-carolina-coast/23507720

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
could have been any number of things, rays, a bad knot or chopper blues...the big choppers can cut through some line pretty quick. I don't know if any of you remember but I believe it was last year there was a great white shark that was tagged and they tracked her along our coast and she made several trips into the ICW...mainly up around Ocracoke inlet but you never know what may decided to swim in and take a bite. That is one reason I love fishing the salt!
http://www.ocearch.org/profile/mary_lee/
http://www.wcti12.com/news/researchers-track-another-white-shark-off-eastern-carolina-coast/23507720
Where does a 20 foot long Great White go?

Thats right kids...

Any dad gum place it feels like going!

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Rod did not have enough time to shake violently, the entire ordeal lasted no more than 20 seconds and it was all over. It kinda reminded me of blue fishing. Blues just do a drive by and gone. That said I am not sure if blues run through the Intercoastal or not.

Headed to Tubbs Inlet tomorrow, hoping for some action.
Yes they do. Certain times of the year, like now. ........ ICM

BigBluefish.JPG CIMG2891.jpg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts