NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

My name is Matt and I just moved here from Austin, TX but originally from the St. Louis area. Always planned to get a boat at some point in my life but then got started reading about kayak fishing and pulled the trigger on one. I've only ever taken it out once but I'm sold! Launced into Falls Lake from the highway 50 boat ramp and pretty much stayed around the 50 bridge and caught a nice striped bass.I live in the Brier Creek area so if anyone lives close and wants to go fishing send me a message.

I'm still new to the kayak fishing thing but after one time I can't wait to take it out again now that I learned some valuable lessons after my first time out :)

Water Sky Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Water Sky Vehicle Lake Paragliding

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Welcome and congrats!

Congrats because I THINK you might have taken Froggy Ribit's title for most fishing rods on a kayak fishing trip away from him!

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
With apologies to children's authors everywhere...

7 rods on a yak
will Froggy get his record back?
he probably has a plan of attack
or he will just come and talk some smack...

Matt,

Hello and welcome. Quite the rig. There are several of us around Raleigh who paddle to fish. Lately I am more of a river rat, but also hit the lakes from time to time.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With apologies to children's authors everywhere...

7 rods on a yak
will Froggy get his record back?
he probably has a plan of attack
or he will just come and talk some smack...

Matt,

Hello and welcome. Quite the rig. There are several of us around Raleigh who paddle to fish. Lately I am more of a river rat, but also hit the lakes from time to time.
Thanks Andy

I just lived in Texas for 5 years and was deployed to Iraq the year before so these large bodies of water are pretty foreign to me. I have never fished on a river so any recommendations for a place to try around Raleigh?

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Thanks Andy

I just lived in Texas for 5 years and was deployed to Iraq the year before so these large bodies of water are pretty foreign to me. I have never fished on a river so any recommendations for a place to try around Raleigh?
The Neuse River trail (bike path) has several canoe launches. I was just out at Anderson Point Park access a few days ago. You can back down right to the river and it is in the middle of a flat water stretch so you can paddle up and down a ways and not have to run a shuttle. Lots of highway noise but decent water to fish. Between most ramps there will be a small rapid or two so you want 2 vehicles and shuttle them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome and nice rig!!

I also live in Brier Creek and have a Jackson Coosa that I love to take out. I prefer the creeks and rivers, but take it out on Falls and a couple other smaller lakes from time to time. Haven't gotten out this summer as much as I prefer, been out of town a lot for work. I'm not great with the fishing AND kayaking at the same time, but I give it my best. If nothing else, the kayak is a great tool to get to bank spots I wouldn't otherwise reach!

I'd be happy to go out sometime. Not really available in November, but will be off for ten days in Dec.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Welcome to the triangle!

If you're fairly new to kayak fishing, please be careful when fishing cold water (<55 F). There was a fatality on Falls a few years ago, likely hypothermia. PFD, correct clothing, fishing with a partner, emergency prepardness, etc ... things to strongly consider.

Nice kayak. Good luck!

-Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.