NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! My name is Jason and I am new to the area, but not new to fishing. I live in Leland, Windsor Park specifically, and work around the corner from the house as a Director of Marketing. I am originally from Upstate NY and I grew up on walleye and northern pike fishing, but I'd like to get some good fishing tips for coastal NC. I have a canoe and have been thinking about going out on the local creeks and and possibly brunswick river. Any advice would help! For fun I have been bass fishing in the neighborhood ponds and casting off shore into the creeks a lot, but that gets boring after a while.

Also, I don't know anyone that fishes down here, so if you are in my area let me know. I'm always looking for new fishing friends.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Two clubs to look into. The North Carolina Kayak Fishing Association which will meet on April 1 at Great Outdoor Provision Co. in Willmington (see www.nckfa.com - Cape Fear Chapter) and the Cape Fear Anglers which meets March 17 at Inlet Watch Yacht Club off of Carolina Beach Rd. In Wilmington (see www. Fryingpantower.com - Cape Fear Anglers in Clubs. And welcome.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So glad to have you on the site. I live about half way between wilm and carolina beach. I ditto Sutton Lake, I haven't fished there in years but would love to get back into fresh water. This time of the yr, there's used to be good stripper around the first bridge out of Leland toward wilm. I guess you know there's a good wildlife ramp about a mile out of Leland on 133. I don't canoe or kayak but love to fish inland. Maybe we can hook up in a few weeks.

Foursum/Jimmy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks man. What were you fishing for? I caught 3 stripers on that trip on the battleship side of the river by all the old busted docks. Good structure spots. That was about a month ago, but I was fishing white swim shads with a pretty heavy slip sinker setup to get deep with the current.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Foursum! I have actually been there with the canoe, but I got there at low tide and it was all mud so I moved on. I am taking the canoe out further north on the brunswick river today and I will let you know how that goes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey! I also live in Leland...Mallory Creek area. I have a canoe/motor setup that I use in Sutton Lake and Rices(Town) Creek. The Rices Creek access is off of Governors Rd from Hwy 17. Google the NC Wildlife Ramps and better directions are there. It is a great place for all types of fishing boats...canoes especially. The bass and catfish are great. Sutton Lake is my other favorite (after u put in...go left toward the Hot Ditch leading up to the powerplant)....just be careful in your canoe if the water starts getting rough....Bass and Catfish are awesome there! Here is link..Rices Creek

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.