NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up my first boat tomorrow. Getting it from my bother so I'm pretty set with what's needed on it but what are necessities for you guys on your boats? It's a 16 ft alumacraft with a 40 hp mercury engine. Just trying to make sure I have all my bases covered before I venture out by myself. What I KNOW it comes with:

anchor
fire extinguisher
life jackets
whistle
lights
paddle
extra plugs
depth finder

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff but I want to make sure I'm prepared.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Electric trolling motor - for fishing but also as an easier emergency backup than a paddle (but keep the paddle)
I assume you also have battery (for lights and depth finder) and gas can/tank. You might want to consider getting a new deep-cycle battery just so you know its history and that it won't die on you during its first couple years. You'll also need a charger either way.
Make sure the stern drain plug is in good shape - they are pretty cheap to replace.
Other than that you have all the necessities in my book. Probably the more important things for you at this point is re-maintenance - grease the trailer bearings and etc.
I assume you tested out the motor and that your brother wouldn't have sold you a lemon - but if not get a pair of water muffs to make sure it starts in the driveway. Also just to cover all the bases if its a 2-stroke motor make sure you mix the gas with marine 2-stroke oil! If you don't have ethanol-free gas around, get that ethanol stabilizer stuff to add to the gas.

Enjoy your first boat!
Jay

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
-Toilet paper- Nature doesnt always call when facilities are easily accessible.
-Tool kit- Its good to have some basic tools on board as well as handy things like cable ties, electrical tape ect.
-Flashlight- Helpful if you are going early or coming back late.
-First aid supplies- Simple kit with some bandaids, tylenol and such.
-Fishing accessories-Pliers, scale, measuring board, hand towel,
-Trailer repair stuff- Spare tire, jack and lug wrench that will work with your trailer, spare bulbs.
-Rain gear- Always good to keep a rainsuit onboard for pop up showers and it can keep you warmer in a pinch.
-Phone charger

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Electric trolling motor - for fishing but also as an easier emergency backup than a paddle (but keep the paddle) Check
I assume you also have battery (for lights and depth finder) and gas can/tank. You might want to consider getting a new deep-cycle battery just so you know its history and that it won't die on you during its first couple years. You'll also need a charger either way.check to both of these, will be getting a battery charger as well
Make sure the stern drain plug is in good shape - they are pretty cheap to replace.check and have an extra
Other than that you have all the necessities in my book. Probably the more important things for you at this point is re-maintenance - grease the trailer bearings and etc.
I assume you tested out the motor and that your brother wouldn't have sold you a lemon - but if not get a pair of water muffs to make sure it starts in the driveway. Also just to cover all the bases if its a 2-stroke motor make sure you mix the gas with marine 2-stroke oil! If you don't have ethanol-free gas around, get that ethanol stabilizer stuff to add to the gas.
Enjoy your first boat!
Jay

My brother had quite a bit of maintenance done to it and just replaced the impeller and serviced the lower end this past week. He also replaced the trailer bearings and seals as they were going bad. He definitely wouldn't leave me high and dry on purpose, he is insisting I let him take me out in it to make sure I know all the ins and outs!! He's a good guy!!

It is a 2 stroke, he as already shown me how to mix the gas/oil.

·
Red X Angler
2,479 Posts
Boaters safety course, first and formost. I had a 15 foot jon boat so the room is limited I had a small tool kit, flashlight, extra pull cord in case my pull start one broke and it did, trolling motor, charged battery, some wire and duct tape...Have fun be safe!!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I always start my engine on the "muffs" either the day of or night before I go fishing. More than once this has saved me issues at the ramp especially if its been sitting a few weeks. Keep a trickle charger on all of your batteries anytime its parked and you will not suffer the most common ,OOPS, at the launch... dead/weak battery... What waters do you plan to fish?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Head over to .... https://elearning.boatus.org/catalog/course.asp?id=36&cid=1 ...and complete the NC course and it will give you probably more information you will ever need. It only takes a couple hours and it is well worth it....not to mention....FREE. You will earn a certificate at the end and your insurance company will like to see you did this.
You will learn that the size of your boat dictates by law what you have to have on board if you are ever stopped and checked. Take the course....could save you a big fine.

Reactions: BigE818

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
and as far as "personal" needs, a 5gal bucket and a poncho make a great emergency toilet. There is always a good use for a bucket, so keep one on board. I store my rear mushroom anchor in mine so its always handy..

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
All good suggestions for sure.

I would have a backup car key or two (one hidden on the car and one stuck in a wallet or on a neck cord)...just in case...or make sure your keys are attached to a float...

And, make sure your cell phone is in a waterproof, floating case. I get several reports of cell phones falling out of pockets etc. and sinking out of sight. Might consider a handheld VHF radio if you are using boat where you will have coverage...in addition to comms with cell phone.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Yeah... the boat safety course is a good idea. It's actually REQUIRED if you are born after 1988 (no clue to how old you are, but most of us old guys forget that part).

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am way past the age requirement too, but, it has been a while since I graced the waters with my person and I learned a lot taking that course. Its free...duh!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you guys for all the suggestions. Finally got to take the boat out yesterday. Ran well with the exception of its not idling right, it idles in gear basically, it won't go into neutral. This isn't a major problem, but trying to idle at the boat ramp to load is impossible, so I loaded it yesterday by hand. Any clues as to why it would be idling like this?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got it fixed. Shift linkage was a little off.

Took the boat to Buckhorn Reservoir yesterday, didn't get much of a bite except we ran into some white perch on the way out. Pulled one in every cast for about 15 mins. Fun but would like to catch some bass or crappie. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Got it fixed. Shift linkage was a little off.

Took the boat to Buckhorn Reservoir yesterday, didn't get much of a bite except we ran into some white perch on the way out. Pulled one in every cast for about 15 mins. Fun but would like to catch some bass or crappie. Any suggestions?
Well, not sure about up where you're at but if you were local to me, I'd suggest you hit Shearon Harris or Cape Fear for both bass and crappie. Although, Harris now is tough to target largies because white bass will get it before the bucket mouths have a chance

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.