NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here about two month ago Biglenr sent me a pm saying that he knew this guy that was giving away a canoe but it had some cracks in the hull. There was one other person that possibly wanted it and I was the standby. After a day or two Len told me it was mine. So over the last few weeks I have researched the best ways to repair polyehtylene boats. After some research I cound a method that fit the criteria, cheap cheap and cheap. I didnt want to spend alot repairing this boat as I am getting ready to build a couple boats for the family that will require some funds! So it seems all you need to make a polyethylene canoe floatable on small ponds is some gorilla tape and a heat gun. I know sounds crazy right? Well this morning I loaded it up!

And we headed out to my crappie pond.

And put a few slabs on the stringer!

Big thanks to Len for letting me know about this deal and it worked out perfectly! Read up on Gorilla Tape and yould never use anything else! Hopefully by August New River M&G I will have my other boat built! In the meantime this will work just fine!

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Awesome, John Whaley was the first to use this method or a heat gun and duct tape, He is or was a big whitewater yak guy out west and this method is known as "Whaley Welding"....google whaley welding.. I have an old town fixed this way and I think it is on my blog but cant remember crap these days. One word of caution though is you need to drill a hole in the end of each crack before you duct tape it. ........

also John said most of the crack repairs actually outlasted the rest of the boat.

Nice canoe mack

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Is that thing square stern?

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it is. An older Coleman Ghenoe I think is what its called.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I got one too ...... fine craft, very versatile and will handle more water than you might think and a whole bunch of gear!

Might have a line on a cheap trolling motor for ya!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
The price was right!!!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
How stable are they?. I was always afraid of canoes..

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
4 guys on here got Scanoe's......awesome. Fish Fiend, myself, Fishwhisperer, and Papadave.....awesome, 4 guys who know a great boat......

FF, where were the cracks, ?? asking cause I hope mine doesn't get them.

PICT0006-001.JPG

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
How stable are they?. I was always afraid of canoes..
Scanoes are wide & flat with 3 "keels". The hull flexes around the supports which actually inverts the hull a little. Don't quite remember the exact measurements but more than 2' across the bottom. Stable boats even under a load, as long as the load is not all at the stern. When I run mine solo with the 2.5 4 stroke toaster I have to add 80lbs or more up front. Keep the middle of the boat in the water and you almost have to try to turn 'em over.

4 guys on here got Scanoe's......awesome. Fish Fiend, myself, Fishwhisperer, and Papadave.....awesome, 4 guys who know a great boat......

FF, where were the cracks, ?? asking cause I hope mine doesn't get them.

View attachment 62024

We aught to gather up somewhere, lash 'em all together with 14' 2x4s and have a Scanoe party. Prolly be able to ferry a small pop-up camper!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Drop I was standing in mine today very stable!

Dave I need to check the budget but I am interested!

Sam I still like catching fish (read outfishing you on Lake Lucas) in yout boat!

Mack the cracks seem to develop where the seats bolt to the gunwhales. Google it and you will see it is a common problem with Scanoes from the 80's not so much on the new ones, polyethylene compound has evolved apparently.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
3,406 Posts

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Loaded for a week on Bear Island. 72 qt. cooler full of ice & 48 qt half full, tent, para-tarp, stove, grub, fishing gear, clothes, outboard, 3 gals of fuel + 2 adults and we still had 4-5" freeboard.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Wow, a canoe thread! Quite unusual in the days of the plastic armada. While I don't own a scanoe I too have loaded up my Old Town Saranac 146 with tons of gear and soloed it the 3 miles to Bear Island. Try that with a yak.....

Bear Access.jpg

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Since we're all sharing photos, I'll partake. My dad or brother and I have used the scanoe for several overnight floats over the years. My dad bought this thing used in the late 80s and I've inherited it. It's seen many miles of river on the James, Yadkin, as well as some flows in the upper Cape Fear. It carries lots of gear. I think the gunwales are ~44" wide at the center. Standing is no problem. Of course, with seats and all it probably weighs 100 lbs.

Yes, that's a bundle of firewood on the back!

I have a 4 hp 2-stroke Yahama for it, and have used it in the Pamlico and Morehead City area on beach trips, but never did well in the salt as far as fishing goes. Mack seems to have his eye on my outboard and has agreed to get it running again. Now, if he'll ever get his small engine guy to work on it ....

:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts