NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday I was on Kerr Lake practicing for the BFL super tournament. I was in a cut that was loaded with shad and I had fished all the way to the back of it without a bite. I picked up a Spro Little John and made a few casts in the back of the cut as I saw some stumps. About the 3rd cast my 7 ft MH crankbait rod bent in 1/2, drag screamed and the fight was on. It first I thought I snagged a carp until I saw it. This freshwater drum inhaled it. I knew there were some in Kerr but this is the first I have caught. Looks very similar to a redfish but a little broader side.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Nice catch!!

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
Never even knew there was such a thing. Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
421 Posts
There's more color in that one than I ever seen! You catch them along with smallmouth up in Erie. They call them sheepshead up there, and they consider them nuisance fish.... So you can imagine the confusion when I first starting hearing about the prized sheepshead at the coast (completely different fish). They do fight very hard! Congrats on the first one!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
We used to catch these things all the time back home in the Ohio River. You would catch them while fishing for bass and think you had hooked a monster bass. Also caught them in the tail water below dams while fishing for white bass and sauger. Not a dynamic fighter but they pull hard.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
We used to catch these things all the time back home in the Ohio River. You would catch them while fishing for bass and think you had hooked a monster bass. Also caught them in the tail water below dams while fishing for white bass and sauger. Not a dynamic fighter but they pull hard.
And they would wreak havoc on you when long lining or spider rigging for crappie on KY Lake

·
Registered
875 Posts
First one I have seen. I have heard of them being caught by bass fisherman in other areas, but not arond here. How did you do in tourney there anyway?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
There's more color in that one than I ever seen! You catch them along with smallmouth up in Erie. They call them sheepshead up there, and they consider them nuisance fish.... So you can imagine the confusion when I first starting hearing about the prized sheepshead at the coast (completely different fish). They do fight very hard! Congrats on the first one!
Yeah, when I went to Buffalo, my wife's hometown, we caught a few smallmouth fishing. Erie has a ton of them.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would guess it around 5-6 lbs. I agree with turtlestew, they are probably native to the river system.

In the tournament I only managed 1 keeper, caught a boat load of shorts though. The guy I split a room with and share information with ended up 3rd fishing the same pattern I fished... last time I give him info :).

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I imagine they are native to the Staunton and Dan rivers which feed Kerr.
A Wiki page on drum says the eastern Appalachians is a native region and no there seems to be no management plan for them anywhere. Other info I found says the Kerr population is small but fairly stable and has produced record fish for both VA and NC, with weights in the low 20s. Not as sexy as a LMB or striper, but I would be happy to catch one.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've caught 3 in a day fishin Buggs for crappie. they really fight on 4 lb test! and several of my clients say they taste great, especially on the grill. I love catchin them! They make me think I've hooked a 3 pound crappie every time!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts