NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! Glad to be aboard.
I just moved to the Greensboro/High Point, NC area and needed some help finding some sweet fishing holes. I use a small two seater 12ft Pelican Boat with a 36lb thrust electric motor so I am looking for smaller lakes (under 400 acres). My preference is bass fishing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would reccommend the purchase of a NC Backroads Atlas and Gazetteer by DeLorme available at Walmart. In fact, every fisherman should have one. They are powerful fish catching tools. I also have one for Florida, another state with great fishing both fresh and salt. I use these to select bodies of water to fish, roads to get me there, access areas, camping locations, and more. It's $20 well spent.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've heard the city lakes from High Point down to Raliegh are pretty good. Reese lake outside of Asheboro is a pretty good lake. Since the majority of NC lakes are "river" lakes with often several creeks coming together to help form the body of water, you could break these down into smaller lakes. I believe you could break High Rock into 3 or 4 sections. Each would take a pretty good bit of time to fish over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
carpenter334 said:
I would reccommend the purchase of a NC Backroads Atlas and Gazetteer by DeLorme available at Walmart. In fact, every fisherman should have one. They are powerful fish catching tools. I also have one for Florida, another state with great fishing both fresh and salt. I use these to select bodies of water to fish, roads to get me there, access areas, camping locations, and more. It's $20 well spent.
Thank you! I will pick these up on my preliminary visit to Greensboro the last week in June. I will be perminently moving on July 20th.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sammy Mickel said:
I've heard the city lakes from High Point down to Raliegh are pretty good. Reese lake outside of Asheboro is a pretty good lake. Since the majority of NC lakes are "river" lakes with often several creeks coming together to help form the body of water, you could break these down into smaller lakes. I believe you could break High Rock into 3 or 4 sections. Each would take a pretty good bit of time to fish over.
Are these fishable with my 12ft bass boat with only an electric motor? And what is the estimated acreage of these city lakes, including Lake Reese you mentioned in your post?

Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Lake Reese allows up to 40hp I think. I don't think you would have a problem in it. In fact if it was closer I'd probalby fish it with my kayack. The city lake in Jamestown may be restricted also, it would be great for a small boat. Salem Lake in Winston would be another good location. At one time the Wildlife Resources Commision would give out brochures on the "public/ city" lakes with the info your looking for. Try thier site, it's a pretty good one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gemini70
Lake Lucas in Asheboro is a nice little lake to cruise around with an electric motor. They have a real nice set up there. The lake does hold some nice bass and they have a few to show off inside the cabin. Another lake between Ramseur and Franklinville off of RT 22 is another nice place you might be interested in checking out. Go get em!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are a few close by that could be fished with a boat like that.Lake Mckintosh is a Burlington lake and they have a trolling motor only area.There is also Lake Higgins in Greensboro.There is also another Burlington lake that is a trolling motor only lake.I cant think of the name of that lake but I'm sure you could probubly find a Burlington recreation & parks website that would have the info about their lakes and possibly directions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey folks! I just took my first trip to GSO before I move there on July 25th. I had a chance to take a look at both Oak Hollow and High Point City Lake. Oak Hollow was a bit intimidating for the size boat I have, but High Point City Lake was perfect!
I picked up the Public Fishing Access Site in NC brochure and the lakes mentioned are in there. I will be taking a look at these lakes in July. Thanks everyone for posting, and I will update with pics when I do get the chance to fish out there!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the Piedmont NC. I think that High Point City Lake in Jamestown will be the most enjoyable. Motor restriction up to 10hp. Most local anglers have small boats and many rent jon boats at the marina and use trolling motors. It has very little fishing pressure during the week and it's not that bad on weekends. It gets a lot more kayakers and recreational paddlers on the weekend but not very distracting. You get the occaisional big bass boater but they are of course restricted to trolling motor only.

Fished yesterday (friday) and had luck on several hybrid and largemouth in the 1-3 pound range. Finally hitting on spinner after trying everything. The lucky choice yesterday was white/chartreuse double blade...large gold willowleaf trailer blade/small silver colorado front blade.

Check out the three City of Greensboro lakes: Lake Townsend, Lake Higgins and Lake Brandt. Higgins and Brandt are the smaller and Townsend is the largest. They have no motor restrictions but you don't get personal watercraft there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You folks are making me want to go fishing before finishing my unpacking!!!! I can't wait to hit High Point City Lake, but what is with not openoing until 12 noon on Sunday??? Is this true???? Also, Lake Brandt and Higgins seems like good lakes from the posts here, as well as Lake Mckintosh.

Once I hit these lakes, I will post pics of the "catches" before I throw 'em back. Nothing like these digital camera's!

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi...don't know about the 12:00 time (?)...unless some company has the whole park/lake rented out for a day or part of a day or they have some special project going on or they can't get the wardens/fishing attendants in on time (and that happens occaisonally) the lake should be open at 07:00 even on Sundays. This summer boats have to off by 8:15pm, normaly it's 7-7...Just talked to a buddy and he was there yesterday (Sunday 7-17) at 07:00.

He said he couldn't get anything big to bite on anything so he went to his flyrod for bream and had good luck with black ant flys. That's how it goes some days...sigh.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey, new poster here.
I have fished Kernersville Lake a few times. Now I am sort of new to the area (about 5 years) but this year is the first year I really tried to catch bass out of that lake. The first one I caught was about 3 pounds and 17 inches. I am new to the whole rubber worm style too (grew up using just nightcrawlers and then went to spinnerbaits for bass and pike growing up in Wisconsin). Tomorrow I am going to try Salem Lake, which I heard has the best bass fishing in the Triad area (Winston Salem/High Point/Greensboro). I'll post what I do.

Oh, just wondering, anyone have a map of Salem Lake? Really have no clue where to go on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.