NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
I’m currently in the process of relocating to Charlotte, NC. I’ve been kayak fishing the salt waters of Massachusetts for the past 3 years. I’m looking for some fresh water area’s to fish in the general vicinity of Charlotte. I’m aware of three bodies of water in this area (Lake Norman, Catawba River and Lake Wylie), but I’m not sure if they are kayak friendly. I currently own a WS Tarpon 140, rigged with a Matrix 17 fish finder, GPS, Scotty Rod holders etc.
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/FONT]

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Welcome XSaltYaker! The waters in the Charlotte area you mentioned are all Yak friendly or at least some parts of them. They run some pretty big vessels on Norman and Wylie.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Welcome to NC, XSaltYaker!

Just think - not more salt, no more corrosion, no more shutdown for winter... You've struck paydirt!! No more blues tho
. Gonna to have to figure out what makes those freshy stripers bite so you can get a Charlotte sleigh ride.

Take a look at the kayaker's map (quick links menu->Kayakers map) and find some NCangler paddlers in your area to send a Private Message to, if they don't chime in on their own. We've got a couple of them out that way, but always on the lookout for more - see this thread for details on joining the map yourself - we'd love to have you on there.

(if you're using Internet Explorer, you will have better luck with the map at this link, but we're on the cusp of getting the IE problem fixed!)

Hope to hear much more from your part of the state! Let us know what you run into out there.

PS - 14' Heritage Redfish, Rudder, Humminbird 535 (not yet mounted)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Welcome aboard! Lots of great places to fish, salty or fresh. And lots of great folks with whom to talk about fishing here on the board!

Lefty
12' LiquidLogic Manta Ray

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the warm welcome. Sorry to make it look like a hit and run, but things have been a little crazy trying to organize closing for both places. We’re still in the early stages of the relocation process and probably will not be in NC until third week in August. I just thought I’d test the waters before I get down there.
It’s not going to be an easy transition from salt to fresh let alone North to South fishing (different species). Also given the fact that where I am right now, I can be on the water in 5 minutes and into some of the best striper fishing in the Northeast. However, I love a challenge.
This is a great site that’s seems to be family friendly, which is what I’m accustom to. However, it seems as though the majority of people are located in the Northeastern part of the state, which would make it difficult for gathering local information. Is there another site around that I could frequent that would be a little more local to where I’m going to be?
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey XSaltYaker,

I'm in Charlotte, too and I'm also new to this board. I'm currently shopping for my first kayak. Give me a shout when you get moved in, and I'd be happy to help explore Mountain Island Lake and some other areas with you. You mentioned that you've been in Massachusetts. My brother-in-law is there, and kayaks regularly in the Marion area. In fact, he is the one who got me thinking about this whole kayak fishing thing.

Anyway, welcome to the Carolinas. It's a great place to live!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Per your zipcode, you should be close to Lake Wylie. Big dirty lake. They hosted Bassmasters there this year I think. pm me and i can see if copperhead island park is near your house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.