NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just trying to figure out this site. I'm new to the area and would like to get some tips on where to go for some good fishing. I'm from Texas and am used to the Gulf fishing. I've done some fresh water fishing but it was mostly smaller rivers, nothing like New River. Anything will help. I gotta get back on the water!
Chale

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Chale, welcome aboard. Just about anything you learned in Texas applies well in North Carolina. One thing you'll find different is that it is tough to catch hardheads in NC. Same goes for Gafftops. Piggie perch are called pinfish in these parts. If you long for some Texas style surf fishing at some point you will need to go north. At least for Padre Island style fishing. most of the beaches are open for driving only in the fall and winter in the southern half of the state. Usually there are fees involved. January, Feb. and March are good months to take care of other responsibilities as the water temps. drop a good deal lower in NC. April sees a little more life stirring in the water and things start warming up pretty good in May. The 70 mark won't come till june and then she keeps climbing until it gets to the mid 80's. There is plenty of wadeable water although the temps. will be a little cooler for the most part. Vibrio is uncommon but a few cases have happend over the last few years. Not too much to worry about on that front. Plenty of piers on emerald Island to your north and on Topsail Island just south of you. Good luck . AL

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Chale--- We may not grow them big as you do in Texas, but we are true fishermen here in Carolina and we can stretch them pretty good. Welcome to the site.

Regards, Forrest<<<< only catches whoppers:D

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Welcome aboard Chale!

I grew up in Jacksonville and unless things have changed in the many moons since I fished it, there's not much action in the upper New River near town (an occasionaly cat or gar). Totally different story though once you get down near Sneads Ferry and below, great fishing there. If you are Marine or Sailor, you also have access to the base beach and there's some good surf action there in the Spring and Fall and I think you can drive on the beach (I see vehicles on it from my boat). Right now, Trout Fishing near and the ICW is hot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! Sorry my first thread on here was so short, the turkey in the kitchen was ready. She said it was my turn to wash dishes!!! lol. Well I've been in the Marines for about seven and a half years now. Married with a crazy little five year old boy. We've lived here in Jacksonville for about two months now. It's pretty nice minus all the jarheads. lol ! We just got outta recruiting duty in Corpus Christi, Texas. Boy was that rough! But the fishing more than made up for it. I was in a family owned team called Team Oso. It was named after the bay there in Corpus. It was really neat because everyone in the team had a handle with the word "oso" in it. Some of the teammates had some crazy handles. There was "oso sweet", "fabul-oso", "oso-grumpy" and "oso-rude" to name a few. I've been looking foward to finding a new team to join now that i'm finally settled in. C'mon let's go fishin' !

Chale

·
Registered
8 Posts
Moved to Charlotte about 6 months ago and am ready to figure out this NC/SC coastline. I grew up fishing for specks and reds along the Texas coast from Baffin & Oso bays south of Corpus to waters north of Freeport; I like using artificials but have been known to soak some bait a time or two. Anyway, over Christmas I went home and the first day back out on the water on Estes flats near Port Aransas we landed over 50 specks and reds... fueling my desire to figure out these waters. Anyone have any suggestions on the best bay system to start with closest to Charlotte? Any luck with a specific guide?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Welcome Aboard wsteubing!

From Charlotte your closest Coastal Water in NC is going to be the Southern section, either in Brunswick County (Southport, Oak Island,etc) or the Wilmington/Wrightsville Area. It's about a four hour shot down State Highway 74.

Here's a link to some guides:
http://www.ncangler.com/links/browselinks.php?c=3

One that's not listed but is an excellent guide for the Wrightsville & Topsail area is Jim Sabella of Plan 9 charters. His number is 910-367-2224. If you call him be sure to tell him Mike with the Maycraft sent you.

A good way to get to know the area is to go to one of the off season fishing schools. Even if you know a lot about fishing you will learn a lot about local techniques, places to fish and start your area fishing network off with a big group of local fishermen and guides. I recommend the one being put on by Fisherman's Post on Feb. 25th. It's their first one but I know several of the Captain's/Guides teaching it and you won't find a better or more experienced group of guides. Here's the link:
http://www.fishermanspost.com/pgs/information/school.html

Best of luck & let us know how you make out or if you have any questions.

Mike

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Welcome to the site! Everything you learned in TX will apply in NC. There are not quite as many fish and the trout usually don't get as large due to winter kills but the good news is we might make it thru the winter without one. Too early to say much about it though. The same thing happens in TX but not as often. There tends to be more cold weather here in the winter so you have to really slow down on the retrieve. Instead of sand trout you will find grey trout. The good news is they are prettier and bigger than sand trout. They tend to roam the open ocean alot but they can be had in the sounds also. NC is pretty much as far south as they go. I don't think they range very far offshore. To me the summers here are more pleasant as you don't get nearly as much wind, the temps average a little lower. also. Good LUCK AL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.