NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just moved from southern Idaho and am looking to get into some fishing in the Raleigh/Metro Raleigh area. I like being out in the middle of nowhere fishing and not really dealing with "combat fishing". I was wondering if anyone knew of any in the cut fishing spots? I don't minding hiking in or traveling an hr or so. Just hope to find something that eases my transition into NC fly fishing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I probably wont be hitting trout waters for a few more weeks. Bass or Crappie would be good but I'm open to anything that's not a carp. Trout fishing is what I like but it's what Idaho was known for. Really just trying to see what I like about NC fly fishing.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
It will soon be time for shad And stripers that way. Your closest walk ins for trout are going to be 4-5 hours if you stay in NC to trout fish. The GSMNP has alot of back country, but truthfully, our trout are on the small side. For bigger water you are fairly close to the Smith Rivef in VA. If you want western style hatches and chance at big fish, think South Holston or the Watauga In TN. You may be able to hook up with some guys from that area and find some small water to have all to yourself, but having around 2 million neighbors in a small area, you won't be alone very often. BTW....welcome, have some relatives in Pocatello.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I probably wont be hitting trout waters for a few more weeks. Bass or Crappie would be good but I'm open to anything that's not a carp.
Seems like just about any body of water around Raleigh will have some fish. City of Raleigh website has a number of parks listed and if the lake is catch and release only, only certain fishing spots and any additional fees for fishing. All require NCWRC inland fishing license.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Hi guys, I just moved from southern Idaho and am looking to get into some fishing in the Raleigh/Metro Raleigh area. I like being out in the middle of nowhere fishing and not really dealing with "combat fishing". I was wondering if anyone knew of any in the cut fishing spots? I don't minding hiking in or traveling an hr or so. Just hope to find something that eases my transition into NC fly fishing.
I am from Middleton Idaho. What part of Southern Idaho did you come from?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am from Middleton Idaho. What part of Southern Idaho did you come from?
I was stationed out at Mountain Home for the last 4 yrs. I just got out the Air Force and this area was a compromise between me and the wife to have the Mountains and beach. I'm homesick for Idaho and I'm not even from there. I would go back in a heartbeat!

I checked out the south eastern side of Jordan Lake but it was so busy I just decided to check out the river south or it. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna try and get out on the Eno this week and hopefully check out Mt Airy next week.

Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I probably wont be hitting trout waters for a few more weeks. Bass or Crappie would be good but I'm open to anything that's not a carp. Trout fishing is what I like but it's what Idaho was known for. Really just trying to see what I like about NC fly fishing.
Reconsider your stance on carp. I used to consider them trash fish... I have since changed me line of thinking. I hooked into 3 last year... those fish are not stupid. Accurate stealthy casting is a must. They will peel off all your fly line line and 50 yards of backing in the blink of an eye.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Before you go to Mt. Airy consider sending a PM to finstalker he is a Surry County trout water authority, and a great guy, he can probably help you concentrate your search.

Darrell

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't consider carp a trash fish, but, all of them I've hooked into drop like rocks and I end up feeling like I'd dragging a log. Honestly don't really like to eat fish and love to fish so if i catch anything I consider it a good day. I got some poppers so I can get used to tossing them and I'll be working on my streamer technique. I just need to get out on the water and see what bites.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Try the Neuse near Falls Dam, There's the Neuse River Trail there that follows the river. Get in where you see access. There are crappie in there right now and the occasional white bass. You might get lucky and hook into a nice carp or bass too. Good Luck.
Immediately below the dam when the release is low is nice as a transition for a fly guy who just moved here (been here over 20 years, but right after moving here after living in CO a while I fished the Neuse there a lot). In the first stretch right below the dam, the Neuse looks like a trout stream when it is low; pour overs, small rapids, hard bottom you can wade. The same flies cast the same way into the places that look right will work, but you will catch warm water fish instead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.