NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how's it going yall. im new to this site and to salt water fishing. im from dallas Tx and have been fishin fresh water lakes all my life. i dont really know what to look for or what to use up here. im stationed on MCAS New River and need some help with the local waters. any tips and tricks would be appreciated. thanks, patrick.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Welcome aboard. Man - where to start is the question - there's so many different types of saltwater fishing in these parts.

If you have a small boat, the New River and it's creeks as well as the waterway is a great place to start. If not, pier fishing would be a good and easy way to get started in the salt. Give us an idea of what you have in mind and we'll help anyway we can. Also try using the search feature on the blue menu bar above - it will search previous posts on this site - there's a lot of good info here.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome to the party!! Thank you for your service!

Reactions: Scott Hobbs

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
ranex........man you are in the zone, the hot spot,,,the mecca of fishing holes.....

I go to New River all the time...over by the Officer Club is a jetty that sticks out......easy walk out and good casting with jigs or topwater plugs for trout and drum.

Down by the SDNCO club is a small fishing pier and a concrete ramp....good cast netting for shrimp when in season.....also casting again for trout and drum...........

down by the marina......several areas to fish down that way....again the same things....

Go to the Base Game warden, they should have maps and everything you will need to go around base and fish.

Have you found Onslow Beach yet...........great surf fishing in the ocean and fishing in the intercoastal waterway (ICW).

Tight lines and good luck <*)))))>{

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Stick to the easy stuff to start with.......jigs, mirror lure.....maybe a topwater bait if you have any....Mirror lure Top Dog or Top Dog Jr......Zarro Spook...

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
941 Posts
Im new here also but can help you out. Go to the marina and take the test so you can rent the boats. Then go to SW creek or NE creek. SW runs right in front of the marina and NE runs on the other side of the river. Great bass fishing in those creeks. If you want to catch some flounder, go to the french creek cut across the way. You can also go to the ICW(intercoastal water way) in one of the boats from the marina. Its a run from the marina but you can also put in on CL at TLZ Bluebird. It has a boat launch about 50 yards wide. Great trout and Red fishing there. Let me know if yo need some more info and will be glad to help you out.:D

Reactions: Scott Hobbs

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
10-4 Southwest creek is right there..........fish straight out and to the left from the marina for trout, drum or flounder/ Hang a right and go up the creek and fish for freshwater species.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
If you have a DoD sticker I think you can. However, the large "ramp" is not a private boat ramp and is to be used at your own risk. At least one vehicle goes sliding down the ramp ito 10' of water a year. Maybe that would cause them to completely close it. The ramp is when you first come in along the bulkhead all that other area is for Military hovercraft.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Thanks........I was kinda leaning towards the DOD stickeer since they had closed the base more or less.......

I have a sticker....so I might have to check it out before long....but I usually put in on New River MCAS and fish up towards NE and SW creeks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.