NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I stumbled across this site the other day and love it. I live in greensboro. Love to fish,but haven't done much since moving here. I used to live in Maryland. There I knew where all the backwoods spots were, here I know nothing. Any advice would be great. I hope I can post a trophy catch on the site one day

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Welcome aboard Steve. What type of fishing and in what are of the state are you interested in? I'm sure some of the guys around Greensboro and the Piedmont can help out some if we knew what type of fishing you want to do. Bass, crappie, carp, striper, bluegill, catfish, trout? Flyfishing, boat, bank, etc.? :)

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Welcome to the site! What kinda fishing you like to do? I live in Sophia (just south of GSO) but work and go to church in Greensboro. Lived here all my life. Several good "pay lakes" around, and you're not too far from Mackintosh, Jordan, High Rock, Badin, Tillery, etc. Also only about an hour 1/2 from some pretty good trout fishing. Let me know what type of fishing you like to do and I'll be glad to point you in the right direction.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW, so many replies. This site is great. Thanks everyone. What ever bites I like to catch. I'm limited to the bank, but last year I went to Macintosh and rented a Kayak. I really enjoyed that. I would love to catch some stripper, never have before. I guess Bass fishing is what I do most, but nothing (in my oppion)beats a good catfish battle. I just found out today I don't live to far from townsend. I live off Hicone on 29N.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
A very good place to fish up that way is just north of you on 29. Exit on the next exit past 29 and turn left. Go to end of rd and turn right. Go to bottom of hill and lake/dam/river is on the left. It used to be MMM Ranch, but I think they are getting ready to develop it. Anyway, might be worth your time to investigate who is in control of it. You can get someone to drop you off and as long as you are wading below the dam you are in "public" land. Used to catch lots of fish there.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your not too far from Belews Creek (lake). Warm water from a plant keeps the fish moving all year. I grew up in Greensboro and used to camp up there in High School. Left every morning with a stringer full of cats. Good bass fishing too.
N. on 68 just across the Stokes county line, plenty of signs to follow.
P.S. 85 S. takes you to High Rock, '98 Bass Masters Classic. 221 S. takes you to Badin.
There's also a handfull of smaller, local lakes with good #'s of fish where you can rent a jon boat.
Oh yeah! Hatchery supported streams in the hills just opened for trout 44 min ago.
Go get 'em

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Sorry, next exit past Hicone Rd. on 29N. Oh yeah, when you went to Mackintosh did you fish from the Alamance or Guilford marina? On the Alamance end you can rent john boats (I don't know about trolling motor and battery though). When you leave the dock you can go to the right and that whole end is electric only. Much better fishing and no boat traffic. Let me know if you're interested and I can clue you in on some "secret" spots (privately of course:)).
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Welcome aboard Steve, Where in MD did you live? My family and I lived in MD for about 9 years before moving back to NC about 20 years ago. When in MD we were in the Westminster area.
Once again welcome!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Welcome aboard, Not only does NC offer a wide variety of fine fishing it has waterfowl hunting that will rival or possibly surpass that of the eastern shore. You are also located in a great spot to take advantage of some fine saltwater fishing. No boat necessary but a kayak would open up a lot more possibilties there also. It's a pretty good haul from Greensboro to the coast trailering a large boat but a fairly quick trip with a kayak. I hope to be reading some of your fishing stories soon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an update, I might be getting a boat. A friend of mine moved into a house a while back. Apparently the boat has been sitting there (came with the house). Sounds like it needs some work. Don't really know much about it. Its 10' and its on a trailer, going to look at it tomorrow. ITs FREE to.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Can't beat FREE!!!!!!!! Yeah, the Guilford side is nice and quiet. As long you stay in that electric only section you won't have any traffic to speak of. The electric section on the Alamance side is about the as big as the rest of the lakes "gas" section, gets little pressure, and has much better fishing. Hope to see a picture of your "new" boat soon.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.