NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found the site and while I am not really new to fishing, I am new to boat fishing. The bank has been my fishing spot most of my life. Wife and I bought our boat back in the summer and I am ready to get into fishing from the boat more. Also, as a way to spend more time outdoors with my son. He lives with his mother in another county and the weekends with him are too important to miss out on passing along the good things in life like hunting and fishing. So, any advice you experienced guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Welcome aboard Tooner. Great perspective on time with your son. I have one that is a senior in high school and I'm trying to figure out how he grew up so fast! What kind of boat do you have and what type of fishing are you most interested in?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wanted a fish & ski, but, wife won out on the boat and we got a 24' Bentley pontoon. Did get the motor upgrade and ski/tow package to be able to ski, tube, etc. It does make for alot more room to fish, too though. Up until we got the boat, whatever happened to be biting from the shore was what we ended up fishing for, which mostly ended up being bream and the occasional catfish and crappie... and nothing with any real size to it. So, I am looking to forward to being able to get out on the water to where the big fish hang out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Great to have you Tooner!
If I didn't fish saltwater also I would have a pontoon boat, if nothing else because of the room.
Again Welcome

Reactions: Tooner

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Tooner, that explains the name. Until you get a fishfinder you are pretty much limited to fishing the same way you were but with much more mobility. My recommendation would be to get a good depthfinder and learn to use it with the help of someone who is familiar with both the depthfinder and the lake. You will soon learn that many times the fish are bunched up in small areas. Until you find those areas you will be drowning bait in fishless areas. Good luck! Shoot us some PICS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one of the portable fish finders that I have used a couple of times, but I am still getting used to it. Can find fish on the finder and throw everything I have at them, but just haven't managed to get them biting yet.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Just remember when you fish from a boat in fresh water 95% of the fish are near the shore. A boat just gives you the mobility to fish cover and cover more area!! Have fun! and welcome!

Reactions: Tooner

·
Registered
852 Posts
Not sure where Anson county is in relation to any lakes. I know that there are a lot of people who fish Kerr lake out of pontoons, either spider rigging for crappie or trolling for striper. Never thought of using a toon for either method, but seems to work for them.

Fishfinder and chartplotter (as well as paper charts) are both almost essential, both to find fish and to have a chance of not running agound in these reservoirs with their constantly changing water levels. VHF radio also comes in handy, as a lot of the trollers are happy to report how the fishing is going wherever they happen to be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.