NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Just getting on for the first time. I fish mainly Lake Wyllie, Mt. Island Lake and Norman around Gastonia, NC. I will be heading to Oak Island with some friends from Second Baptist Church in Mt. Holly NC, the last week in June, and would really appreciate some pointers on what to fish with and how from the beach or pier there. Kids will be with us and you know that there is nothing that keeps them coming back like catching, they really aren't interested in the fishing part! I have never had any luck down there from the beach and I am pretty sure it is my lack of knowledge and skill in this area. Any info. would be appreciated!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I don't know OI in particular, but kinda the standard rig from what I've seen of surf (beach) and pier fishing has been a two-hook bottom rig baited with shrimp or cut baitfish. Of course, any bottom-oriented rig would perform similarly. First most important thing is to get your line into the water!

Reactions: grk

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Welcome aboard GRK.

With the kids, a pier might be a better option to get started. You can use lighter gear on the pier than in the surf and can even rent it from the pier house or a nearby shop.

As Lefty said, a two hook bottom rig with a 3 or 4 ounce pyramid sinker is the way to go just starting out. Try Eagle Claw #4 J hooks or a similar brand.

Hope you catch 'em up!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Welcome aboard. The pier is an excellent place to spend your time. If you're fimiliar with a cast net there is a creek between the beachfront road and the main road into Oak Island where I have caught live shrimp to use on the pier in the past. I'll see if I can find the location on the map later and post it.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Welcome aboard. Don't know jack about saltwater but wanted to say welcome.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you'll be staying at the old fort. The kids will enjoy it . Like the others have already said put some shrimp on a hook and if there's a fish in the water they should get a bite. Have fun and give a report when you get back.
Gery

·
Registered
871 Posts
Welcome GRK! Oak Island can be very productive. There are two good piers on the island, Yaupon and Ocean Crest. If you go to I believe it is the east end of the island the way the island runs to Lockwood Folly inlet is very good on either the ocean side or the inlet side depending on the tide. I have done well there. You should be able to catch Flounder, Pompano, and Virginia Mullet. You might even catch some Trout but I would try the inlet side for them.
The last week in June might produce some Spanish on the piers.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Sand fleas and shrimp on the surf side down near the inlet and minnows on the sound side of the inlet would be my choice but I would also fish some minnows in the surf and shrimp in the sound. Have the kids catch some of their own sand fleas! Pompano, Va. mullet and puppy drum love sand fleas. Flounder and trout prefer minnows and shrimp. Google East Coast Sports for some good surf fishing tips that are good for summer. I think you can find some more by reading thru the older posts in our surf fishing forum.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If you're gonna be at Ft. Caswell, watch out for the no-see-ums. They were all over the place last time I was down there... This variety was not the least bit bothered by my picaridin-based repellent. I've heard they don't like the new lemon-eucalyptus stuff. Pray for a breeze, that's your best bet.

The pier there is a very comfortable place to fish, as well as along the retaining walls beside the pier.

Enjoy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.