NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to the site. I live in Michigan and travel for work to NC quite a bit.

I mostly fish in the Great Lakes however I try and fish in saltwater any chance I get.

I will be in the Goldsboro area for a week (Feb. 12 to 19) and have the weekend free. Hence my surfing and looking for a place to fish the weekend of Feb. 15.

I have found a rental kayak @ Pirate Queen Paddling in Moorehead city.

I am looking for any other options that are available as well as possibly joining a group that will be fishing that weekend. I'm open to fishing for any species.

Five of us from Michigan just came back from Va. Beach after trying for Stripers. That was a bust, way too cold (low to mid 30').

I operatate a kayak fishing guide service in the Great Lakes and would certainly offer a reciprocal arrangement to anyone wishing to come to Michigan and fish.

Thanks in advance,

Lucian

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Hey Lucian, welcome! As you found in VA, the weather here can be hit & miss this time of year. Beautiful weekend ahead us this week, but who knows 2 weeks from now?

I assume your plan is to fish the salt somewhere in the Morehead City area. Do a search on the site for the Hay Stacks. Its a large marshy area between Morehead City and Beaufort.

Not sure what the non-resident license requirements are, but in-staters need both a state fishing license and a coastal rec fishing license/stamp. I assume there's some kind of non-res combo deal for folks in your situation.

Would love to join you but its too early to tell if I'll be free on all fronts. Keep checking out here and posting schedule updates - we've got a pretty vibrant and growing kayak community. Weather permitting, somebody will get out with you.

Question: Did you take the kayaks down to VA for the stripers?
2nd Question: Since when is it too cold in VA for a Michigan guy? No ice, no problem, eh?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I do want to fish in salt but it needs not be in the Moorehead area. If I can rent a kayak elsewhere that would be OK, or I can rent it at Moorehead and drive to some place else to fish with some fellow yak anglers. Either way is OK with me!

We'll play it by ear for now and see how the weather is and where the fish are.

We go to Va Beach area about twice a year and we either trailer the yaks or load them on vehicles. That is what I would do if I could get someone or a couple of guys to drive down for a long weekend. But I don't think that will happen especially since we went to Va. just last weekend.

As far as the weather being too cold ...... The weather in VA was AS COLD as it was back in MI that weekend. It would not have been so bad if we caught fish. Five of us fished the Kitopeke cement ships for two days with one 20# Striper.

Check out our site and forum Michigan Kayak Fishing

I will be getting out this weekend, on the ice, to fish for some Perch, Crappie, Bluegills. That will suffice for now!

Regards,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm in Goldsboro, what is the general outlook for the weekend?

Tentatively I will be staying in Morehead City Fri and Sat nights unless a more suitable location is available so that I could join someone or a group to fish with. I would like to fish Sat and Sun.

Please let me know if anyone is fishing. I will check here for updates or use my cell phone number (734-776-6200).

Regards,

Lucian

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Weekends a little shaky right now but this is NC and it can change dramatically in 24 hrs!!! Best of luck. I'm visiting the folks this weekend so no fishing for me :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Talked to Lucian today and offered to take him out in Wilmington if he decides to come this way and fish I am going to take him out behing Masonboro and some of the creeks in that area so if anyone else wants to brave to possible rain and 10mph winds let me know.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Welcome to the site, I don't do the LRB thing, Little Row Boat:D

Just kidding, but really if I was younger and my shoulders were in better shape I know for a fact I'd have to have one. Seen some guys that can flat out move, and in skinny water to boot. Thats red territory.

Hope a plan comes up for ya.

Tight lines <*))))))>{

·
Registered
597 Posts
Just found the post and I'll be in the Morehead-Beaufort-Swansboro area this weekend. Sat. looks good with only 20% chance light rain in the aft. Sun 50%.
Might fish Bogue inlet Fri. Beaufort Sat. Sun?

Chris - wanna come up? If you haven't ironed out plans with Lucian.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Talked to Lucian today and offered to take him out in Wilmington if he decides to come this way and fish I am going to take him out behing Masonboro and some of the creeks in that area so if anyone else wants to brave to possible rain and 10mph winds let me know.
I have the day free to fish, but will depend on the wind if I go or not.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
LUCIAN,
WELCOME TO THE SITE QUEENS CREEK AND SUROUNDING AREAS THERE SHOULD BE GREAT FOR RED DRUM BY NOW AND AS YAK4FISH HAS SAID BOGUE INLET IS A GOOD A PLACE AS ANY........HOPE ALL WORKS OUT FOR YOU THIS WEEKEND SO FAR SUNDAY COULD BE A WASH 60% CHANCE OF RAIN.
JUST POSTED AN ADD IN THE AD AREA YOU MIGHT BE INTRESTED IN ON RODS REELS AND LURES SINCE YOU FISH THE GREAT LAKES

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I spoke to Chris tonight and will be fishing with him on Sat. I am planning on going to Morehead area to fish on Sun.

Yak4fish if you are going to be there on Sunday let me know and we can meet, if that is okay with you.

Thanks,

·
Registered
597 Posts
You'll have fun with Chris - he's good guy.. guide.

I'm planning on Bogue Inlet tomorrow, Beaufort Sat., weather is iffy Sun. But I'll call you if I plan to go out.

out 'till tomorrow night - good luck Sat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yak4fish give me a call on Saturday I am picking up Lucian around 9:00am saturday we have a midmorning low tide so I am hoping that the sun starts to warm up the mud bottom and raise the water temp alittle to get the Drum active. But call me and we can figure out if you will be fishing. My inlaws will be in town so if fishing is possible on sun I will be at the house. Lets see if we can get Lucian hooked up with you on Sun if the weather is holding if not get him some directions to Queens Creek or something like that.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Paddles, sorry I didn't get your message until Sat. night. Had some early work at my folks house in New Bern then fished for a while at Upper Broad Creek - off the Neuse. Caught an 8 lb bowfin, 16 or so inch chain pickerel and bounced a LM off the side of the boat. I'm not gonna have time to hit Beaufort before heading back home. I'll send Lucian a PM with my mobile if he wants directions to my Red honeyhole. I don't tell everybody about it so they don't get over-pressured.

How'd you guys do today?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the help, everyone and especially Chris.

Chris and I fished about half the day on Saturaday and all day Sunday.

Saturday turned out to be a great day to be on the water and was quite a welcome change from the weather at home. We did not catch anything, but we certainly did try. Not many fish seen but the scenery and paddling was great.

I would really like to try that again. Thanks again everyone.

Regards,

Lucian

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.