NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all. I just moved out to the east coast, Arden area, and am looking for a few spots to line out. I found Lake Jullian yesterday, but did not get the chance to fish. It looks like a nice lake, but would like somewhere not connected to a power plant. I dont want to be pulling out and 3 eyed fish.. i know there are a ton of lakes, rivers, and ponds around, are they all accessible to fish? Im not 100% sure the laws around fishing out here. Any info on places, lures, or targeted species would help immensely. Also a bonus if any places are good for kids to play while i fish. And free is always best.. thanks

·
Registered
552 Posts
Go to ncwildlife.org to check all the hunting and fishing regulations. That will get you started on seasons, size and bag/harvest limits. Beware, the size and bag limits for each lake can be different! In NC there is a freshwater only license, a saltwater only license, and what they call a unified sportsman license that gets just about everything you need for hunting and fishing, except a special trout license and a duck hunting stamp. (Guys—feel free to correct me if I am leading Will astray).

Then look for the NC State Parks website for lake info…also the USForest Service website, and even the National Park Service website. And up your way you have plenty of nice rivers and creeks to float or wade. Finally, if you think you might be interested in saltwater fishing, remember the roughly 300+ miles of coastline in the east!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, i havnt been salt water fishing in a while. I know the coast is big, but a bit far for a day trip.i got my fresh water license already, may just go out and get the sportsman license, been wanting to go out hunting too (never hunted before, it looks fun). Thanks for the website references, i will definitely check them out.

But Trout need a special license out here? Thats rather interesting. I come from southern California, and there are only like 4 lakes i could fish (for 20$ a day lake fees) and trout were only stocked 2 months a year, so no special license was required. Heck, you were lucky if you even had room to fish for them, too many anglers and not enough space.

I was able to get out to the FB river yesterday, got my first few smallmouths and an absolutely beautiful green sunfish. I hear ther are Muskies there and am thinking i may give those big guys a try soon, they look like they will put up a great fight. If anyone has the urge to show me a few good spots, i would love to make a few fishing buddies out here.

Thanks again guys, also I am in love with this state, it is so beautiful, and the people so far have been great, cant wait to see what all this state has to offer..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Check out the Western North Carolina Musky Club for info on Musky fishing. Learn what the colors on trout waters signs allow, rules vary. Look at the classes offered at the Pisgah Educational Center.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Lake Julian is a good spot for bass and catfish. It is stocked with catfish and you can rent boats to fish the lake.

There are also playgrounds at the park there.

Lake Powhatan in the national forest is another place to try. Stocked with catfish and trout. There is an entrance fee.

There are a few musky in the French Broad. Be prepared

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good morning all. I just moved out to the east coast, Arden area, and am looking for a few spots to line out. I found Lake Jullian yesterday, but did not get the chance to fish. It looks like a nice lake, but would like somewhere not connected to a power plant. I dont want to be pulling out and 3 eyed fish.. i know there are a ton of lakes, rivers, and ponds around, are they all accessible to fish? Im not 100% sure the laws around fishing out here. Any info on places, lures, or targeted species would help immensely. Also a bonus if any places are good for kids to play while i fish. And free is always best.. thanks
The way to do it is open google maps and drive to the body of water that is in your area. Also search that lakes name on here, always a lot of info. For the rivers just find the roads that parallel them and recon them for pull off's. But do some walking to get to the good spots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts