NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past I lived in MO and in FL where I fished a lot with my father and grandfather. I have several fond childhood memories of fly fishing trips, and sitting on my grandfather dock in MO. After years of not fishing, I have decided that it is time to dust off my poles and tackle box. I have two young boys, and I would love for them to enjoy fishing as much as I do.

Over the past few weeks we have had very little luck finding locations to fish. We went to one bass stocked pond that a friend of a friend owns, High Rock Lake, and Morrow Mountain. The pond was great, but I do not personally known the owner, so I will not be going there unless accompanied by my other friend. We didn't catch anything at Morrow Mountain and only caught one little crappie at High Rock Lake.

My husband and I do not own a boat, so we are limited to the locations at which we can fish at High Rock. I have tried to research public fishing areas on High Rock and have had one luck finding any helpful information. If I could please get some input on where to fish on High Rock it would be great appreciated. I prefer fishing for game fish, and I not too interested in catfish.

Thank you in advance for your input!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Do you know of any good fishing in the piedmont or surrounding areas?

Reactions: dbeam

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
There is a good fishing area at Tuckertown about a mile NW of the Stokes Ferry Road/Hwy 49 intersection. Glad to have you on the site. Lake Lucas near Asheboro also rents Jon boats and has some nice bass and crappie.

Darrell

·
Registered
371 Posts
High Point City Lake, Ramsauer Lake, Lake Lucas & upper side of Randleman (as mentioned above) ... great places to fish

I am boatless as well, I rent jon boats from both places all the time. I have my own trolling motor and battery but they rent that gear as well.

Welcome to NC and Welcome to NCAngler.com

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the ideas on where to fish. My youngest, age 5, just asked if I was on "that fishing site," then said it was nice out and we should go fishing. I already had plans on taking him on Wednesday, so thank you again for the ideas :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you!! For now I'll be sticking with the johnboats. My little ones are still a little young to put them in a kayak on their own, but once I feel they are ready for kayaks that will be an experience that I feel they will love. Thank you again for the information!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know exactly where High Point City Lake and Randleman are located, but I'll have to look up Lake Lucas and Ramsauer. The trolling motor is a great idea. I need to look into purchasing one, because that's more along the lines of what I could afford to buy at this particular time. My step-father may even have one that we could use for now. Thank you are your input it is great appreciated!!

Reactions: dbeam and Doc_Love

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Lucas is one the east side of hwy 64 before it gets to Asheboro (You can spot it on Goggle map)

The fishing area at Tuckertown is for bank fishing (I didn't mention on the fist post)

Darrell

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was looking at Lake Lucas on Google Earth earlier, and saw what looks like a fishing pier above the dam and found the a place to rent johnboats. While I was on Google Earth I was having a hard time seeing what below the dam. Is there a place to bank fish below the dam? I was wanting to take my youngest son out there on Wednesday, but I feel unsafe taking him on a johnboat without my husband there.

Thanks again,
Jenn

·
Registered
65 Posts
since you live in Thomasville, if you go through Denton and head towards the Alcoa power dam on highrock on the lower end of the lake there is several places on highrock you can fish from the bank. Also if you go past the power dam and take the first left it will lead into the Badin lake area which has excellent freshwater fishing, just ask one of the locals in Denton where Bringle ferry road is and follow it to the power dam.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know I have not gone down 109 to Denton and then headed out towards the lake. I always go down 85 to 8. Thanks for the advice!

Do you know anything about fishing below the dam of Lucas lake?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
If you can swing it buy a Minn Kota electric motor at least 36 pounds of thrust and a marine deep cycle battery at Walmart and a charger. Try the upper end of Randleman and just get the boys life jackets at Walmart. Lucas is deep and clear and tough fishing most of the time. The water below the dam is very small and not worth it. Night crawlers and minnows should produce for the boys. Old HP city lake in Jamestown would be my second choice. I'm not sure what's south of your local but check out the link I posted for options

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the link that book should come in handy. You said that Lake Lucas is clear and deep, is there any good crappie fishing on it in the spring?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Never fished it for crappie except one time did throw crappie jigs into the bubbles that come up from some kind of pump right in front of the dam and it was full of them....all small though. I think a four pound plus crappie was caught there back 30 years ago if I recall right. The banks are pretty vertical unless you get far up lake. Should be tons more crappie in Randleman. Might be good though. Crappie bite should have tapered off by now most places as that was hot late March early April. If I was trying to put boys on fish I would use bing maps or google earth and find some larger farm ponds and knock on doors worms in hand.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I definitely wasn't going to try crappie fishing this time of year. It's past spawn and they are all in the deeps keeping cool. I was surprised I caught that one little crappie off the High Rock Lake dock that we go to. I just was just wondering for future reference. You peeked my interest with "deep and clear." I haven't seen a lot of place around here that are deep and clear.

I haven't really considered farm ponds. I'm going to look into that, and have my friend introduce me to the owner of that one I took my oldest to about two weeks ago. That pond was great!! The bass out there were taking the bait at least every other cast. There was one monster out there that snapped my line. My son had was working the jig back in (with my help he's only 6) snapped 12 lb test on top water. I want that fish!! I'm sure you understand that, lol!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.