NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All I am new to Durham area and I am looking for a place to start kayak fishing that is within 2 ir 3 hours for here. It would be best if there was a beach for my wife also.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I-40 puts the Wilmington area within your target radius. If you take 40 east until it ends, and just keep on following that road, you'll head out the other side of Wilmington and continue south past Carolina Beach and Kure Beach. Once you get close to the Fort Fisher historic site, there's a beach on the left. Don't know how crowded it gets. Keep driving south for another 3 minutes or so and you'll run out of road at the Federal Point boat ramp, from which you can launch into The Basin - a protected area inside the barrier islands, and outside the jetty they built to protect the Cape Fear River's shipping channel. You can paddle south for several miles and back, if you're so inclined... Not much boat traffic because it's so shallow..

If you're free June 28, the 2nd annual KFNC Meet'n'Greet will be down there doing just that...
Meet and Greet 2, another update... - NC Angler Fishing

And of course if you don't mind water that's not so salty, there are lots of places within a 30 minute drive of Durham.

Reactions: rfoote

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Now is a good time to start. The trout and drum are active around the ICW and the flounder are chewing too with some keeper size flatties starting to show up.

You might want to try Surf City too - it's probably the quickest drive for you to a beach - take exit 408 off I-40 and follow HWY 210 - it'll take you right there. Just as you cross the bridge onto the island you will see Sound Side park on the right - great place to launch a kayak & a short trip from there to the beach for your wife. If you need supplies or advice on kayaking the area, Herring Sporting Goods is a good local resource for kayaking.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
welcome to the site rfoote. have some fun while you are here. On Sunday evenings we have a chat session. You are welcome to join. Times will be posted closer to the end of the week.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Ah yes my neck of the woods... No Beaches, but the Stripers are biting here and there. If you go down past Dinahs landing they are catching some Speckled Trout. Up river it is freshwater stuff, LM Bass, Crappie. Stripers in both directions.... Plenty for the wife to do as far as little shops and restaurants if thats her thing. I recommend Masons landing (Tranter's Creek) for Kayaking freshwater, and Dinahs landing if you want to get to a little saltier brine but with all the rain I'd bet on freshwater right now.... Not far to Bath, Belhaven both nice places to go with Bath being the most historic and interesting....

Reactions: rfoote
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.