NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just moved to the boone/blowing rock area from raleigh and really want to get in to fly fishing some of the streams and other stocked areas. Im not a seasoned fisherman and am only really used to fishing small bodies of water and maybe jordan lake or falls of neuse every now and again so Im not exactly well versed on gear and tackle. My main rod/reel is a bass pro tourney special combo which I hope I can find some spots close by to use but would like to get some beginner fly gear together and catch some trout.

Any advice on a good place with a helpful staff to shop for gear and get me set up?
Or maybe some good spots to fish trough without giving away any secrets?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
We're always happy to help folks get started in fly fishing and am only about an hour from Boone. In fact we probably spend a majority of the store time answering questions and helping folks get off on the right track when starting fly fishing. Check out the store website and feel free to email, visit or call with questions. I have a good starter package (rod, reel, line, case, backing, leader) for $145. Plenty of good fishing water in the area.

There is, or was, an Orvis store in Foscoe....out 105. And, I believe there is a new shop that has opened up in Linville...right around the intersection of 105 and 221... I think. There was a small shop just before reaching the turn to Valle Crucis on 105. Appalachian Anglers on 105 now is only a guide business I think...they have not sold tackle for some time. Elk Creek Outfitters on 105...just as you are leaving Boone is a guide business also...with a lot of familiarity in the area.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Hey guys,

Just moved to the boone/blowing rock area from raleigh and really want to get in to fly fishing some of the streams and other stocked areas. Im not a seasoned fisherman and am only really used to fishing small bodies of water and maybe jordan lake or falls of neuse every now and again so Im not exactly well versed on gear and tackle. My main rod/reel is a bass pro tourney special combo which I hope I can find some spots close by to use but would like to get some beginner fly gear together and catch some trout.

Any advice on a good place with a helpful staff to shop for gear and get me set up?
Or maybe some good spots to fish trough without giving away any secrets?

Cheers!
You can go most any direction you want from there and find trout water. Some trout maps will be helpful. Invest in some quality waders. There are several here that can chime in on any areas you intend on visiting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks chiefly, ill be sure to look in to all those including you guys.

Waders are a must around here, not a lot of banks on the rivers. I live maybe 20 minutes walking from the watauga river where 105 bypass connects with 105 so I plan on fishing through there often.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.