NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum. I live in the Hampstead and fish mainly inshore. I am a speckled trout fanatic. I fish around the surf city, new river , and I go to core sound very regulor. I would appreceate any info. on the trout fishing in any of these areas. Thank you

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Hi Painterman and welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll get some responses from some of the guys down your way. One of our moderators, Topsail Angler, also lives in Hampstead and fishes more than I can think about fishing. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
New blood

Hey Painterman, welcome abord. I am pretty new here myself so glad to hear from more newbes. I also fish the New River a lot, mostly around traps bay and Mile hammock bay and the Icw north of the river. Good luck and let us know how you do.Al

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Painterman, welcome aboard. I have heard the following lately. The last big rain dropped enough freshwater to push the shrimp and mullet out of the Neuse. Although I wonder if it was water salinity or favorable wind that actually caused the exodus. anyway they have moved out and around the point and south according to what I gather. I also hear that the speck fishing has picked up in places like the middle marshes, Harkers Island bridge and the high bridge to Atlantic beach. I'm not sure how the haystacks were affected but I would be looking in the ICW and east right now. Apparently your home stretch of water isn't to action packed. A recent report from Hutaff and Riches inlet Nixon and Green channels indicated that flounder were probably the best option going into the weekend. AL

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Claude, welcome aboard! I can't help you with the best times to fish other than to say that Topsail angler has been keeping an eye on the solunar tables and his watch while fishing this year and I belive he would tell you to make sure you use them to find the best times. I know some of the better guides also put a lot of stock in them. The trout and puppy drum are still in the creeks down your way but the flounder are where the real actioin is. Best bets for them are live finger mullet and small menhaden bumped along the bottom from the ICW east to the inlets and beyond. There are a few whiting and pompano in the surf as well as schools of spots here and there. The blues and spanish are available from the beach but not in big numbers. A day or two of winds from the south and that will be the hot bite along with Kings from the end of the piers.
I hope this helps AL

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hey Painterman! Welcome to NC Angler. I also live in Hampstead, in Washington Acres. I fish out of a 19' Maycraft and fish both inside and out depending on the weather.

Right now Drum in the surf, flounder in the channels and near the inlets and specks on the marsh grass seems to be the best spots around here. One of my favorite speck spots for this time of year is Howard Channel on the Topsail Channel end.

There are some nice spots south of Surf City Bridge in the ICW ont he island side. There is a series of spoil islands with some nice flats and feeder creeks coming out of them - they usually hold a bunch of specks this time of year. Try them on the falling tide just fter flood stage.

Near New River inlet, on the south connector to the ICW there are some small tidal ditches feeding in on the right (returning) - they should be holding trout 'bout now - try there at slack tide, either side.

Hope that helps. Send me a PM sometime when you plan to be out fishing and maybe we can link up. I should be inshore this week-end as the seas are going to be snotty.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hello you guys: I am new to the forum and wish to find some information about the costal fishing area. I have a house on Oak Island and wish to find the best times for fishing in the Day time. Any help appreciated. Claude
Hey Claude, welcome to NC Angler. The best times to fish are hard to pin down but here's a few rules of thumb for inshore fishing:

Fish bite better when the water is moving (except Specks who seem to like the hour around flood tide) in tidal areas like where you live. For Flounder I like the last two hours of the falling tide.

I have become a believer in the Solunar tables - they aren't the absolute answer but often the major and minor bite times in a day will truely offer the best fishing. although I've caught plenty of fish outside these times too. On our menu bar select "bite times" and try them out. You can select Charlotte on the city list (only one in NC), our bite time is within a few minutes of theirs. What ever times are listed for a day, fish 45 minutes on both sides of that time.

Early morning and dusk are often the busiest bite times of the day other than the tidal and solunar times.

One more rule of thumb, if you catch fish in a certain spot at a certain time, try back there the next day one hour later (daily tide shift), often they will be biting then too.

Hope that helps.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.