NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: beach fishing

Just thought I would say hello in this thread. I have been lurking on the sight from time to time since July. I am an old beach fisherman but I like it all (saltwater that is). I do like freshwater but not nearly as much as salt. I use to bass tournament fish but got kinda burned out on it. I fished the Redman Trail.....for you old timers that remember it and BASS back in the 80's and early 90's.
I guess I am getting a little anxious to go out. I will be going out with Capt. Stacey March 24-25 on the 24 hour trip. I haven't been offshore since November and I can't wait.

Mark

Reactions: patuna

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Welcome to NCangler.com Livebait and thanks for posting. It is always nice when folks that have lurked for awhile decide to jump in! :) BTW I moved your post to its own thread so we can welcome you officially! ;)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
the lil guy sitting on your shoulder that makes you buy more tackle is the infamus tackle monkey.. it is not a mental thing but a physical being..

just so you know...

welcome to the site...

zooker

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zooker,

I know the tackle monkey well!............LOL! At this point I have more than the law should allow.

I just ran across the Van Staal website. Those reels are insane. Welcome To Van Staal - No Limitations

Mark

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Are the van staals the outfits that require the diamond studded GUMMY WORMS for bait?:)

Welcome LiveBait!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
if you like the Van Staal, take a look at the Accurate Platinum Twin Spin or the Shimano Stella... all 3 are nice for sure, but fabulous $$ for what they do. Tackle monkey knows no bounds :)

Weclome on!

P.s. My vote is for saltwater fishin... just better action and bigger fish... alot more fun in my opinion;)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I were to purchase a Van Staal VBS I would have to take out an insurance policy on it and I hate insurance!

I had never seen one here in NC until recently. They are primarily used in the North East.

I will just keep using my Silstar CT reels, unfortunately they don't make them anymore but they were the best bang for my buck besides my old Mitchells and Garcias.
Mike Stanley (Bogue Inlet Pier) still has a few new in the box Silstar CT reels from where he bought a closeout lot of them.

Offshore I like the old Mitchell conventional reels and the newer Penn GTI levelwinds. I have a 330 GTI that I use on an old Garcia Conlon standup tuna rod that has worked well for Grouper and Amberjack.

Heck! I will hand line'm if I have to.

Mark

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Welp, doesnt sound like you have "enough" of them.... Let the monkey run free! :)

Yup, I'm an Okuma/Penn/Shimano guy.. for the price of one V-S I could have 22 Okuma AV-80's, or 4 Okuma TS-50W's, or 6 Penn 114's, or 22 Shimano Sedona 2000's,,, ohh.. the list could go on! :);) :eek:

ha ha ha.. I think if you had that kind of money to buy a VS insurance wouldnt be an issue

While we on the rod tackle monkey talk... Gotta question, would anyones wife question this if she came home and saw her living room like this?? :)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Had to laugh, Dave --
Forrest's wife would probably accuse him of getting rid of her favorite gear!

Reactions: Dave B.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
My wife would have a cow. :cool: Maybe we could raise it and then have home grown beef. May have to try this.:D

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
live bait
it should be against the law for reels to cost that much...

dave
if i did i would not catch any greif about it...

zooker

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like my living room Wellcraft!..........LOL!

She runs me out every once and a while but between me and my dog she doesn't stand a chance.

Mark

Reactions: Dave B.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the welcomes! This is a nice place.

I do have a good woman and I am not as tough as I sound. She makes me keep the balance............sometimes I have to sleep with the dog but that doesn't usually last very long.......LOL!

Mark

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Welcome aboard livebait. I've found that some of the best nights sleep in the winter is with the husky outback with his nice warm fur.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.