NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am learning how to fish the crks and rivers for trout. I have learned so far that in the winter the trout are in the back of the creeks. As the weather warms where will they go next, where do they summer, and then what do they do in the fall.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
In the winter they'll be in the middle-back of the creeks, come spring they'll start working their way to the middle-front of the creeks and then around May-June they'll move out into the river and work their way down to the lower river/sound where they'll stay until around September/October and will work back up the river to the creeks. This is Neuse River trout. Other rivers will likely vary to some degree.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yep what trigger said. Lower estuaries in spring and summer, middle-upper estuaries in fall and winter for river fish. Ocean fish a.k.a. "salty trout", will travel back and forth from the surf/ICW to the creeks, depending on forage, water quality and temperatures. You will hear about speckled trout staging in large groups before entering the inshore backwaters in early-mid fall at certain areas, feeding up for winter. Usually this is around structure, wether it be oyster bars, piers, bridges or breakwaters. (Hence the circus that is known as the CALO jetty in October..) Salty trout are much more tide-oriented, but all of them are temperature oriented, and they all like clean water. Have a few super cold snaps like we did last year, and all the fish will congregate in the backs of the deeper creeks as a last minute survival tactic. (and as we saw sometimes this does not work so well for them.) Contrary to popular belief, speckled trout are not considered "highly migratory", like adult red drum are. Most specimens do not travel more than 50 miles from their original birthplace, and will spend thier entire lives in one estuary system. (per tagging studies.) However you will see a few oddballs who have been travelled great distances, I.E. tagged in VA and harvested in NC.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I will also add that some of the best trout fishing can be in early spring, when the fish begin moving out of the backs of the estuaries. Every river system seems different, as far as the speckled trout fisheries go. or so it seems.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Phil we have had a lot of fresh water influx this year so Blount hasn't been as productive , as often, as in the past with low rainfall years. Gotta head farther east and find some saltier water.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Phil we have had a lot of fresh water influx this year so Blount hasn't been as productive , as often, as in the past with low rainfall years. Gotta head farther east and find some saltier water.
Thanks. I will do that. Was thinking about hauling it to Morehead some time when the weather cooperates. This AM there was NO water in my creek I guess the wind blew it out. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.