NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone. i just moved here aug. 1st, and have rarely gone this long without wettin' the line in some way shape or form. i'm not looking to steal anyones "hot spots," but sure could use a point in the right direction. i've lived in quite a few places the past couple of years, and have always managed to find somewhere to hook onto something. i'm coming from buffalo, home of the best smallmouth fishing in the country (for those of you who caught the bassmasters elite series in july!) i'm obviously big on the smallies, but we also get largies, perch, pike and musky up there too. the kicker for me is that rather than pulling my fishin boat down here, i was stsuck lugging a uhaul trailer full of furniture. so until i find a way to get her down here, it looks like i'm stuck on land/piers. any help is sooo greatly appreciated. thanks
concho

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome to the area. I also live in W-S.
You will find that most area lakes in Winston and Greensboro are watershed lakes which means they only allow pier fishing, but bank fishing is not allowed. I am not sure about fishing from the bank at Belews, but Salem lake and the GBO lakes only allow pier fishing for a fee.
Join the kayak fishing armada and we could go.

chris.. PT Yakker

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Check the local phonebook for tackle shops and boating shops and ask around if we cant put you onto something.. ( but I'm sure we can!)
Welcome to the party!!!

****Weather has been brutal so don't get discouraged if it is hard to produce this time of year!!! I know most of the folks from "Out of town" have a hard time adjusting to the fishing here... Whole different ballgame!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey guys, thanks for the imput. i'll be honest, i never pictured myself reelin' m in from a kayak, but i must say i am intrigued. it looks like the boat has to stay up north for a while (driving me nuts) but heck,,, i'll try anything. what kind of setups are you guys using on these boats? are you dropping them in anywhere close to W-S? again, the help is much appreciated. if anyone is headin out in the near future, i'm always lookin to tag along.
-concho

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Shawn,
Salem Lake is a very good fishing spot. They have pier fishing and rent john boats out (or used to a few years ago). They have a limit of around 40-45 hp for boats. If you have a trolling motor and battery, or a small gas engine you can get all over the lake with no problem. Like others have said, with the hot weather the fishing has been less than favorable at best so you're not really missing anything yet. I do believe that when the weather starts to cool a bit they are going to strap on the feed bag. Good luck on getting out there.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Welcome to Winston. Salem Lake is a very good lake but is limited to pier and small boats. Kernersville Lake Park is also pretty good. You can rent paddle boats or attach a trolling motor if you have one. Your next best bet will be finding some farm ponds an asking for permission. Most people will let you fish with a few simple rules. Times, trash, gates, ect.... You might want to drop the NY accent though. Just kidding. I also live in Winston and have been here almost 30 years. I own a boat and do a fair amount of fishing local lakes. PM me and will see what we can line up for a possible trip. Good Fishing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Welcome Shawnconcho,
I live in Greensboro and use a kayak all the time. I have a 14' Redfish with a fishing setup. "Get Outdoors" on Lee st. in Greensboro has a good variety of kayaks, check them out if your interested. kayakken

·
Registered
273 Posts
Don't know of many pier options so let me suggest Badin lake when your boat does arrive. Bass fishing, catfish and stripers. Just south of you. Welcome to God's country!!!;)

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
hey guys, thanks for the imput. i'll be honest, i never pictured myself reelin' m in from a kayak, but i must say i am intrigued. it looks like the boat has to stay up north for a while (driving me nuts) but heck,,, i'll try anything. what kind of setups are you guys using on these boats? are you dropping them in anywhere close to W-S? again, the help is much appreciated. if anyone is headin out in the near future, i'm always lookin to tag along.
-concho
The fishing kayaks are easy to store, easy to launch, easy to care for, easy to outfit, easy to travel in and much more stable than you'd ever think. Doesn't mean that you can't get yourself into trouble on the water (as with any watercraft), but I think most people are quite surprised at the ride. Plus they can go places that a motored boat can't - ponds, rivers/creeks, city water supply reservoirs, etc... They'll serve well as a primary or backup fishing platform. You can travel light - just a rod and a small bag of tackle or you can rig it with all the accessories of a "real" boat - lots of us have fish finders and rod holders. Some have live wells, down riggers, "spider holders" for multi-rod crappie fishing, trolling motors, etc... The plastic is easy to work with, so you're only limited by imagination.

This time of year, with the unbroken heat that we've had, the primary freshwater targets (good sized largemouths and crappie) are likely going to be deep and lethargic. I've been targeting the more aggressive school feeding fish like white bass, white perch and schoolie-sized largemouths in open water at Falls Lake in Raleigh/Durham. They aren't giants but they are keeping me busy and the kayak provides a form of exercise that I can actually stick with. I'm catching most by trolling small shad-imitating crankbaits and the rest by having a rod ready with something small & heavy like a jigging spoon that you can launch into a set of surface boils when they come up to feed. Find a lake with a reputation for active schooling fish and a good shad population where you can reach the major creek intersections and/or deep open water and just cruise around the channel edges and points.

I'm not very familiar with the triad-area lakes, but I've read about the active hybrid bass stocking program over there and I'd like to get some personal experience with it. We sure don't hear many hybrid reports, so I'm not sure how mature the hybrid fishery is, or what seasons are most productive. If somebody's got it figured out, I want to hear.

The Neuse river runs through raleigh and has a lot of wade-able water when the water is running normal or low. I can almost always get a couple of small bass or panfish with small spinners, minnow baits and finesse worms. Again, I'm not familiar with triad-area rivers&creeks, but you can do a lot worse than standing knee deep in a shaded river this time of year, and its a great way to introduce yourself to the native species. You're also halfway closer to the mountains than we are over here in the triangle, so maybe getting up there for some trout or smallmouth fishing is an option.

Lots of generalizations since I'm not a W-S local, but hopefully something that can be applied 100 miles to the west of me or it will trigger somebody to pop up with some better local knowledge...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Welcome Shawnconcho,
I live in Greensboro and use a kayak all the time. I have a 14' Redfish with a fishing setup. "Get Outdoors" on Lee st. in Greensboro has a good variety of kayaks, check them out if your interested. kayakken
I heard rumors that GetOutdoors might be involved with a demo I heard rumored to be taking place in Asheboro today -- if you're up for a bit of a trip, you might want to give them a call...

·
Registered
231 Posts
hello and welcome to the carolinas. I use to fish salem lake for some really nice largemouth's but you must use small boats. water is warm now but should cool some in september. if you are hunting small mouth's or walleye's we fish lake james between marion and morganton a lot. proably an hour and half from winston, up I-40 west. good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey all - i really appreciate all the input. im actually keeping my eyes open for a kyak/canoe for the time being. i'd like to get out this weekend, (i know not prime weather conditions, but u cant beat throwin the line in, no matter what, even just to scope some places out for when the weather starts shaping up. If anyone can point me in the right direction for a USED kyak or canoe, that'd be huuge. I do have the ol lady with me, so a canoe might be the better way to go for the time being. again, thanks to all for all the input! maybe see some of you guys out there this weekend!

concho

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Craigslist .com is covered up with them.. Try the Raleigh,Charlotte and Greensboro Craigslists

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.