NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Hope yall are having a good week so far! My brother, wife and I recently moved to Wrightsville beach (right off the island). We love to target inshore species like speckled trout & red drum and so far have been land-bound - basically fishing the north and south end of Wrightsville and surf fishing a couple other beaches (Oak Island, Topsail, Carolina Beach).

Well we just invested in some fishing Kayaks and are pumped to take them out! However, was hoping to get some recommendations on good places to take them out in order to have a good chance to target speckled trout (and redfish). Would you guys recommend any spots nearby - we don't mind driving a bit either - feel free to DM me!

Also, we've never had a kayak so totally new to kayak fishing. We did some research and it looks like an effective way to target speckled trout is to troll around with either mirrorlures or jighead w/ diesel minnow. Is this an effective strategy or would you guys recommend anything else?

Also any recommendations on how to identify good spots? I'm imagining steep drop offs, slack water by current, and other structure like oyster bars - would appreciate any other recommendations! I'm guessing we'll want to mostly stay inshore/in marsh but always looking to learn something new!

Are they biting good now or does it need to cool off more?

Thanks guys!

Luke

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
+Welcome to WB.....
For openers, start a relationship with both local tackle store Intracoastal Angler & Tex's Tackle.
Buy your tackle from them, ask questions, get advice from the locals.
Subscribe to Elias V Fishing on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaI2LcrXcedc5AbtvM00OXg
Great info for newcomers, Elias is very helpful & should shorten your learning curve.
Trout fishing the surf should be turning on really soon.
Hope this helps......ICM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts