NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after deciding I wasn't gonna drop a ton of cash on an aluminum cart, I made one. Searched a ton of pics, sketched up some plans, a few times on the fly, and came out with my finished product. Just need to screw on my rod holders and I'm golden. I learned that PVC cement dries almost instantly, so there's a slight bow in the base, but such is life, still very functional. My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy, but she naturally doesn't get it! My cutting board came out of the Home Depot scrap heap, wheels from Harbor Freight, and the rest from HD and Lowes. Minus the unibit and PVC cutters I had to get I'm in about $140.
Tire Automotive tire Wood Wheel Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
are you gonna pull it or push it? just wonderng, cause the only thing i see that may end up being a problem, is if you plan on pulling it, the front handle might be a little short(close to the cart) this will in turn end up hitting your ankles about every step, not a hard fix tho to extend it out... reason i say this is cause it happened to me with my first cart i built:rolleyes: looks great overall tho

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Looks good, add an upright near the front handle for a patio umbrella and you will have easy shade with you at all times. PVC is an addiction. You will start noticing anytime you see scrap in junk stores like Habitat or job sites now and want to take it home :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm gonna pull it, and you're right it's a tad close to the feet! next time, or I can always make a new handle. The handle/cutting board it quick release with pics so it'll fit in the trunk well, plus I drilled out a hole for pliers and honed out a slot for a bait knife too. PVC will be an addiction I learned that! Thanks for the comments guys, it was fun building this fishing cart for sure

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
$199 and up for the ones of any decent size and you don't have it your way. Scrounging and shopping around you can do it cheaper than this one but it was still a good deal. And at anytime with a few saw cuts and some more pipe you can modify it any way you like.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I wish I had known that! The stuff I got sets in like milliseconds, royal a$$ pain and makes it a one-shot deal, which I learned early on! So the heat gun is the trick to adjusting joints and such huh, can you reheat the cemented joints and get a second chance I wonder?

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
You don;t get a second chance you can adjust a little by putting a small twist on the pipe. But you can heat the end of the pipe and use a beer bottle to swage the ends for near professional looking results. One of the oscillating saws from Harbor Freight (around 14.95 with coupon) works great for making cuts for slots and rod mounts. If you ever rig a yak send me a PM for some pics.

Darrell

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.