NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one heck of a story for the campfire with regards to my motor saga. I really have to decide if I want to toss more money into it. It keeps blowing the number one coil pack. The last one blew with the new power pack module. The only thing left are the stator and trigger coil under the flywheel. That's another couple hundred. Not feeling it. hahahahaha

The hull is a 1961 Starcraft 16' Viscount. New it weighed 475lbs with Max HP of 75 hp.

As much fun as it is to be able to do everything. I am considering something 2005 or newer. I am thinking VTech or 4 cycle. I am not worried about hole shot so would lean to 4 cycle. My max need is probably 60 hp. I just want to be able to get around at a decent clip.

I would not be averse to electric tilt and trim.

Anyone have any pointers on places to talk to about a recent used motor? There is something at Lake Gaston on CL. Lots-O-used motors. Even a warranty.

Really, I am at the point now where I don't know if I would ever trust the thing. Even if I get it going.

mikeski

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thoughts on these???

[h=2]Mercury 50hp ELPTO[/h]This is a Mercury 50hp ELPTO. It was produced in April of 2005 and installed on a 2007 2072 LDSV War Eagle that belonged to a War Eagle pro-staffer. Not sure about controls

Johnson 60 VRO
Comes with controls. Not sure about year.

The lake Gaston people on craigs has not responded to my query.

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
could this be a reed valve issue? sounds bizarre and more fuel related than fire.

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, I agree. It runs, makes the poof, bogs, runs, poofs, bogs, ...

I guess I will need to red up on how the reeds work.

Any thoughts on the listed motors?

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Johnson is too high for the year model. Merc has had an unusual life which can mean as much trouble from not being used, as being used. For that kind of money I would have to have some kind of small warranty 90 days etc.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After playing more....... I am even more interested in a new motor. RRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I have no brand loyalty. When I was a kid I always wanted the rental with the Black 9.9 hp Merc. It just looked so cool. And this old motor has not left a bad taste in my mouth with regards to Evinrude. What do you all think about a 2005 Mercury 50hp ELPTO. Price on CL is about a grand high from what I can see elsewhere online. And it does not come with controls. Those are at least $250.

Did I read that in this area Evinrude/Johnson and Yamaha are what is easiest to get serviced?

Anyone running one of these???

mikeski

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya, the reeds looked great. And there was no blowing out the carbs.

It's cyl 2 not firing properly. The poof is when the cyl fires. Even though the timing light shows power going.

I have the latest on the current motor in the saga thread.

mikeski

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Bob, thanks for the interest. Ya, I have had this thing apart. Cleaned all the connections. New components. I surfed all the info. Did the CDI checks and so on. Everything is well grounded. I can't believe the extra ground wires they have.

I have had this motor running like a champ 4 times. Ran up and down the lake. Stopped to fish for a min and restart. Start hard. One cyl not firing. Then Limped home each time. Once on the trolling motor. I did notice an issue at WOT or very near it. The new power pack took care of that. The last time out it had never run better. Till I stopped to fish and then restart.

I carried all my tools out with me. Meter, timing light, ... When it failed I used the timing light and one cyl was no light.

I do not drop this lightly. I pride myself in the ability to fix most things. This motor does not want to be fixed.

I will package it all up and there's a guy on the forum that is collecting Evenrude 55 parts to build one out of many. So he can see if I did something stupid and point and laugh at me if he finds the problem.

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Good point Mech Bob. Those old stators especially, are sealed in some plastic like coating that cracks with age, and heat really can screw the older ones especially up.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Green plastic. I believe that's what's in mine at the moment.

I have two. One in and one out. I will put the meter on the two of them and see if there is a diff.

So, you think it's sending a jolt through the system? Blowing which ever coil it jolted on?

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
could be shorting out, grounding out, causing something electrical to overheat or burn up from high or low amperage.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been thinking about what has transpired over this rebuild and have decided to get a new stator and give it one more shot.

I have two of these motors. In motor 1 the stator was green plastic coated. In motor 2 it was just metal and coils.

If I remember correctly Cyl 2 was not working correctly and is where I blew the first coil. After the starter mount hole issue I moved over to motor 2. Pulled all off that and installed the best of the two motors on it. I blew cyl 1 two times on motor 2. After I blew it up due to an overheat. (cooling seemed to be an issue even after replacing everything).

I fully cleaned motor 1 before fixing the two bad holes with helicoils. I also had to fill the missing support with washers. Then installed everything on motor 1 along with a new power module and coil. All was good and then I blew the coil in cyl 2.

The only difference I can see between the two is the stator and the rectifier. Could I have two bad stators? One blowing cyl 1 and the other 2??

I was under the impression the stator fed point 1 on the power pack and it directed the power depending on the trigger signal. Maybe someone has a little more info on that part?

mikeski

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.