NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought home a hobie outback yesterday. This is the first yak i have owned. I have taken it out three times so far into chadwik bay. I can not wait to sart rigging it out. My goal is to keep it simple but effective. Any suggestions would be greaty appreciated.:D

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I don't know if there's really much additional rigging that you need for your Hobie. The handiest thing that I have on my Tarpon 120 is an Anchor Trolley on each side this helps me position the boat and control items like my baitbucket. Captdick.net has alot of rigging accessories for your yak so you may want to look at their site. I also rigged a Depthfinder my boat. I just like to know what the bottom looks like.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I bought a Manta Ray in April. First thing I did was to try things with temporary mounts as best I could -- in my case, I rigged stuff to a crate rather than rigging them to the boat. This let me experiment a bit with the placement of rod-holders before actually punching holes. KayakFishingStuff.com also has a whole lot of discussion on rigging... ya might want to mount the transducer in a temporary mount while you experiment with it.....

Enjoy it!
Lefty

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
All good advice. Sometimes less is better. On a kayak it is real easy to get too many gadjets or put stuff where it ends up in the way. For backwater fishing I don't like anything other than a couple rods, a tackle box, a bait bucket w/areator and a fish bag or softside cooler. If you are going to fish large reservoirs or open ocean then you are going to find you need electronics and rod holders and such. Then a slow, deliberate process of mock up and get in the boat make adjustments & then fish it is in order. Good luck in getting it like you want it

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Speaking of simplicity -- I'd just asked on another forum about bait buckets, and got pointed to this -- a bait tube (http://www.plasticnavy.com/bait-tube.htm). Self-aereating, at least as long as there's a little bit of current... For the small cost involved, I think I'm gonna give it a try...
Lefty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.