NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here, but long time lurker and long time Bear Creek Lake fisher. I was up at Bear in late June and caught the bug on trolling for trout. I've read most of the threads about learning how to troll for trough / being a neophyte. I've learned more reading a couple threads than I have the last couple outings.

Anyways. We're headed up tomorrow. So if you see 1860 SeaArk center console with a 70hp Yamaha and twin down riggers, that's most likely me. I won't be running the right poles, but it's all I have at the moment.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good Luck to you. I was unable to make it up for my annual Christmas trip.....due to some unexpected developments with one of my businesses. I'm really bummed not to be there. The weather looks great. I wish you good luck. Bear is Full of Trout....and right now is the best time of year. Below is a Fat Trout from Bear last month (Thanksgiving). If I can help you....just ask....D

Food Salmon-like fish Fish Oncorhynchus Fin

·
Registered
821 Posts
Good Luck on your trip. I hope you wield the slaying power of 7! If you have a planar board, try putting some little plugs well out off to the side of the boat. Remember to try some really stupid, preposterous colored lures. Some days that's what they want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How's the lake's water level this week? It seemed to be lower each of my last 4 trips. My last visit some resident's docks were completely out of the water. I'm planning on a trip to Bear or Wolf this Friday.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can check the lake levels easily at https://lakes dot duke-energy dot com/#/lakes in the nantahala/tuckeseegee drop down. Right now Bear is about (4) feet below full pond....pretty normal for this time of year......Cheers....D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks y’all! Just got up here to the house. I plan on going out at first light in the morning. I ended up only bringing one down rigger, two rods is about all I can manage by myself and I’m still learning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Bear Creek Lake 28 Dec
49.05F at the launch area
Water clear
Some debris and floating logs

Got on the lake this morning at 7:20, later than I wanted, after spending 30 minutes looking for my keys that my mother-in-law picked up and put in her room. No luck on trout today. I really don’t think I have the correct setups so that’s something I need to sort out. I did pick up a gator Walleye. She was worn slap out by the time I got her to the boat, so I kept her. I was going to turn her loose because I have a thing about letting the big females go, but after checking the regs I decided she could feed my family of 5. I was trolling at about 35’ or so. @Troutgirl said don’t be afraid to use funky colors, so I was trolling a chartreuse and purple plug. It didn’t even occur to me that those are walleye colors. Anyways, hope the weather holds out so I can get out again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Deer season is over, retail shopping rush is over, Christmas is over, New Years & bowl games soon to be over. I'm hoping to get back on a trout lake soon. Thanks for the report on Bear, keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's a great walleye! I live in Cashiers but have not fished Bear but a couple times. Since my fishing buddy moved to Ga I will be fishing closer lakes. Great info on Bear. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went out Friday morning. There was a little more debris back near Sol and Robinson creeks. Temp was up a little at the dam 50.51F. Trolled for a few hours switching some things up, but never got any takedowns. Headed back home on Saturday and starting back up school on Monday. I'm already looking forward to my next trip!

·
Registered
821 Posts
If you get to go winter trouting again, try fishing the shallow areas of the lake. Maybe that's where they'll be feeding on nymphs and crawdads? Remember, you can use your downrigger to fish light lures very shallow. A hoochie or trolling fly might be quite effective at 2-4 feet?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.